What's the difference??

Cindy   Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
I want to find out about the following sentences.

1.Would you please be kind enough to rub the chalkboard?
2.Would you please be kind enough to rub off the chalkboard?
3.Would you please be kind enough to rub it off?

Could somebody answer my question??

Thanks.
Q   Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
All three sentences sound quite strange: why not just say:
"Please erase the blackboard".

"Would you please be kind enough to" is not used and sounds patently ridiculous; try "Would you be so kind as to...", and even that sounds a bit much. Nobody talks like that when asking a student to erase the blackboard, that sounds excessively formal and archaic, and that sort of language is not used by a teacher ordering some one to erase the blackboard.

Secondly, one must say "erase", and not "rub off".

Thirdly, nowadays it's usually called the "blackboard", not the "chalkboard".

And finally, "rub it off" does not mean to erase, but actually rub something off, so that would mean nothing would be left of the blackboard.
Glikeria   Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
We always say "Clean the blackboard"...
Guest   Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:45 pm GMT
I have to disagree with the term "blackboard". Depending on where you're from, "chalkboard" is still used much more than "blackboard", and in other places, both terms are used, so either could be acceptable.

I would say something like, "Please erase the chalkboard." or "Erase the chalkboard, please."
Jim   Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:53 am GMT
I've never heard the term "chalkboard" but it could be in use somewhere. I'd say something like "I had been wondering whether you might possibly be ever so kind enough as to take the trouble to give the blackboard a bit of a clean if it really is no bother and you don't particularly mind. I would be much obliged. I do thank you for your time to heard my request out and thank you in advance should you be happy to carry this request out. Pretty please with a cherry on top."