manoeuvre material Egypt yacht

Robin   Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:15 am GMT
These are a few words that I have difficulty spelling.

Sometimes I can look at a word, and think, is that really how it is spelt?

Metaphor

What is a phor?

phor: to carry or bear

eu-phor-ic : Synonym: elated

eu- good

phor carry

-ic pertaining to
elina   Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:17 pm GMT
whats the title has to do with the thread .. egyptian yacht.. and a difficulty on spelling .. weird!!
Lazar   Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:01 am GMT
I agree with Elina - I don't understand what Robin is trying to say or ask, and what relation the title has to the content of the post.
Robin   Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:07 am GMT
Hi, Have just put down a few words that I have difficulty spelling. I had difficulty spelling 'manoeuvre', so I had to look it up. I don't think that I would have guessed -oeuvre.

I then thought of another word that I had difficulty with.

material

After I have mastered the spelling of a word, it is then hard to imagine what the problem was. But I seem to remember 'material' striking me as an unusual word.

To a certain extent, I know what the answer to my question is. These are words that are part of the English language, but are of recent foreign origin. Rather than being 'Latin' or 'Greek' based words, or 'German' type words.

That is why I also added: Egypt, which I think is quite a strange word, and yacht, which I believe is a dutch word.

I then took apart a fairly common word 'Metaphor', to show how its 'meaning' was made up of two Greek words.

I could perhaps do something similar, ie a search on "-oeuvre". (Just then, for instance, I had difficulty remembering the 'u'.)

The French word for work used to describe the total work produced by an artist throughout his or her career.

Material: "-erial" This time nothing of interest came up, other than the word 's-erial'

So I will try: "terial" What I did find is that 'rial' is similar to 'real' which has a special meaning in 'Real Madrid' etc (Real Estate). So you can think of Real Matter: Matter Real: Material

Just playing with words.