Eats, Shoots and Leaves

Robin   Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:04 am GMT
What is the significance of

"Eats, Shoots and Leaves"

First of all, it is the title of a 'popular' book on grammar.

But secondly, to most Native Speakers, when they look at this expression, one meaning comes to mind. After a childhood spent watching Cowboy films, and 'The Godfather' etc. I suspect that most British people imagine something like the scene in "The Godfather", where the central character, Michael Corleone, suddenly stops eating, shoots the person across the table from him, and then leaves, dropping the gun.

When you think about it, it is rather an unusual event.

However, in the book on grammar, there is a different and truly unusual meaning. It is describing how a Panda, eats bamboo shoots, and leaves. The importance is where the comma is placed.

Eats Shoots, and Leaves.

The reason why the title is such a good one, is because the first image is such a strong one. But the book is trying to explain the importance of where the comma is placed.
Aquatar   Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:00 pm GMT
Robin

I heard this used in a joke, comparing men to pandas, where this phrase had amuch ruder connotation lol
Guest   Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
Dear Aquatar

Unfortunately, I tend to stop at the first meaning that occurs to me.

Anyway, I am glad that my Topic attracted at least one Post.

The cover has got little pictures of Panda's, I suppose they could replace them with pictures of trains going into tunnels, and water fountains, etc.

Bye for now
Uriel   Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:48 pm GMT
I'm with you, Aquatar -- I had a whole different visual in mind! ;) And I was liking it...

Byt the way, Robin, for your panda scenario there would be no puctuation in the phrase at all -- the panda "eats shoots and leaves." Not eats shoots, and leaves."