Go fetch or go and fetch in AmE???

Mary   Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:58 am GMT
Hi Laris(s)a,
Yes, yep means yes. I have heard both "go get" and "go and get." I think "go get" is a little less formal: I'm reminded of hearing a man yell, "Go get 'em, boy!" to his dog as it chased a squirrel through a park. On the other hand, every morning my research advisor asks me to "go and get me some coffee, will ya?" That's black coffee, no cream or sugar, by the way.

---

In response to Brennus's comment:
"With so many people from the northern states moving to the Sun Belt (which includes the southern states) in the past 25 years, one can't help but think that the days of "fetch" in the South are numbered."

I don't think Mississippi has this problem, for reasons I won't enumerate. Not to hate on your state, JW, but it's no Florida.
JW   Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:38 pm GMT
"Not to hate on your state, JW, but it's no Florida." - Mary

And we down here thank God for that.
Larisa   Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:22 am GMT
Hey all! Could you explain the meaning of the word "formal" please?
Thanks a lot.
JW   Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:04 pm GMT
Larisa,
Thanks for asking so nicely. But I think, instead of having one of us to define that word, you would do better to consult a good dictionary.
Travis   Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:15 am GMT
>>Does "Yep" mean "yes"?
Thanks<<

Literally it means the same thing, but it has a somewhat less formal and, in particular, less emphatic tone than "yes" overall, while still being more emphatic than "yeah".