The English Bible? - Preserving English?

Guest   Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:44 am GMT
What is your thought on it?
-Q-   Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:04 am GMT
Well, I don't think it really preserves English, as people don't usually speak like that except for prayer. I assume you're referring to the King James version, other editions such as The New International Version and especially The Message use English as it's spoken today for the most part.
Jim   Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:51 am GMT
Yeah, Shakespear does a better job. Not Everyone would choose to buy/read the King James version but Shakespear in modernised English, it wouldn't smell as sweet.
myself   Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:41 pm GMT
I use to go here to have a modern and free translation of the Bible in English :

"http://www.watchtower.org/e/bible/index.htm"

Cheers.

myself
Laura Braun   Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:37 pm GMT
Yeah, but there is a diference between 23rd Psalm (The Lord is my shephard I shall not want...) and version in your Bible. Let me check out what is written in Psalm 139 , and Psalm 51....
Laura Braun   Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:44 pm GMT
What do you think which one is more stronger, in my KJV there is Ps. 51 'Have mercy upon me', in your version there is 'Show me your favor'. Are both meaning the same?
Jim   Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:27 pm GMT
Hello Nora,

No, I'd say that they differ in meaning quite a bit.
Laura Braun   Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 am GMT
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your explatation. What I think that some translation of Bible can excange the meaning. Do you know that in John is written 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God'. So someone explained me that 'word' indeed refers to Jesus, but I didn't know that.
Scholar   Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:04 am GMT
>> Thank you for your explatation. What I think that some translation of Bible can excange the meaning. Do you know that in John is written 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God'. So someone explained me that 'word' indeed refers to Jesus, but I didn't know that. <<

No, that's not a faulty translation or an exchange of meaning because in Greek it uses the word "logos", which refers to Jesus in this context but does literally mean "the word".