Again: past tense and present tense problem

new_boy   Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:07 am GMT
I think I still have a problem with grammar. I found the following text at the bbc website:

"Scientists in South Korea say they believe the North's claim is genuine, but they are still trying to get further confirmation."

I still don't understand why the writer used "say" (not said) and "is genuine" (not was genuine).

why?
M56   Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:54 am GMT
Because the situation is still the case. Don't get too hung up on backshifting everything. We often use the present in reporting if the situation is current or unchanged.

"I'm coming to the part this weekend."

Options:

She says she's coming this weekend.
She said she was coming this weekend.
new_boy   Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:39 am GMT
Now, I take another sentence from the same source:

"Meeting in New York, the UN Security Council strongly condemned North Korea over its claimed test."

Now, why the writer uses "condemned" (not condemn)?

Thanks

for reference:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6036129.stm
Robin   Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:42 am GMT
<<<Because the situation is still the case. Don't get too hung up on backshifting everything. We often use the present in reporting if the situation is current or unchanged. >>>

<<<"Meeting in New York, the UN Security Council strongly condemned North Korea over its claimed test." >>>

The UN have strongly condemed North Korea in the past, and they continue to do so.
new_boy   Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:22 am GMT
I have a different opinion why he/she uses past tense. In my opinion, it is because the meeting has finished. Is it so? It refers to an event that has been closed (a meeting in New York).
new_boy   Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:06 am GMT
Am I correct? (please refer to previous comment)
M56   Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:50 am GMT
<I have a different opinion why he/she uses past tense. In my opinion, it is because the meeting has finished. Is it so? It refers to an event that has been closed (a meeting in New York). >

Yes, at the metting they did that, they condemned SK. The meeting is over, so past tense is fine there.
mike   Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
if you say the above news in your own language, i guess you will use same logic and verb tenses as used to express it in english as you showed us...your are just confusing yourself.
Guest   Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:38 pm GMT
This topic should be in the English area, shouldn't it ?
Pos   Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:56 am GMT
<This topic should be in the English area, shouldn't it ? >

This is the English area.