Can you help me out with this Oscar Wilds's quote? I tried hard to get it. In particular, what is the meaning of the rack in this context?
Paul N.
Paul N.
"In the old days, we had the rack. Now we have the pres
Can you help me out with this Oscar Wilds's quote? I tried hard to get it. In particular, what is the meaning of the rack in this context?
Paul N.
I think that that is the rack as in the torture device that will eventually kill you. Remember that this play was dealing with blackmail wherein a woman was threatening to ruin a good politician's name by revealing a secret of his past to the newspapers. The bad publicity would have killed off his career torturously the same way the rack would have killed a man slowly. Does that help? Anyone think I'm wrong?because I am totally open to another interpretation.
Your explanation appears to me superbly good, Rene. Yet I advise you to take my opinion rather lightly since I have neither read nor seen " An Ideal Husband" in my entire life.
|