My accent?

Nicholas   Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:53 pm GMT
Hello everyone!

I wonder whether you can guess where I’m from.

My sample: http://media.putfile.com/The-Rainbow-Passage

Nicholas
Q   Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:19 am GMT
Wow... what an interesting accent. It's really hard to tell. It's a nice one for sure. I just might borrow it. You say your r's almost like an American (although not as strong), but then say "beautiful" with a t instead of a flap. You sound almost British a little bit sometimes and your /aI/ sounds sound very different like in "sunlight strikes" almost like a Cockney but not as extreme. Your o's sound a little different and before l almost like gold -> gheld. You say path as pahth instead of path, like a Northeasterner. Look almost sounds like how a Californian would say it--sort of like lick. You final d in "end" sounded different as well. Interesting. Are you Irish?
Guest   Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:45 am GMT
I thought it was rather a muffled, mumbling sort of speech. There was a bit that sounded vaguely irish, but I did not find it 'interesting' at all.

It wasn't clear and articulate.
Nicholas   Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:58 pm GMT
Q, thank you for your reply. I'm not Irish, actually I've never been to Ireland. I was born in Russia, but after a few years I moved to the Netherlands and I have lived there ever since. I speak Dutch and Russian as a native speaker.
When I began working on my pronunciation, I decided to concentrate on the British Received Pronunciation. After listening to my own recordings, I realized that it wasn't British, something between American and British. But I never thought that you would say that I'm Irish.

By the way Q, where are you from, if I may ask? I'm just wondering...

<< I thought it was rather a muffled, mumbling sort of speech. There was a bit that sounded vaguely irish, but I did not find it 'interesting' at all.

It wasn't clear and articulate.>>

That's interesting, because that is the way I speak most of the time.
Viscount de l'Isle   Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
Yur accent sounded very much like the Dutch version of British RP, but with some typically Russian mumbling, I would say.
Q   Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 am GMT
>> By the way Q, where are you from, if I may ask? I'm just wondering... <<

I'm from Washington.
Jim   Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:38 am GMT
Theess forum eez boolsheet. Tom won't tell us why eet eez called antimoon. He shoood tell us right now.
Joey   Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
You are Canadian not what most people would have guessed Irish.
Right.
Joey   Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
Well thats what you remind me of, the New Foundland