Whose property?

Pos   Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:45 am GMT
"English is the property of its users native and non-native, and all English speakers need training for effective international communication" (1987:xi).

Do you agree?
Glikeria   Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:45 pm GMT
I do.
M56   Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:48 am GMT
Me too.
Robin   Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:54 pm GMT
The reality of course is that English is not the property of anyone. There are certain self-professed 'authorities', like the Oxford and Cambridge teaching systems. Also organisations like NATO have adopted a simpler vocabulary in order to aid communication between individuals from different NATO countries communicating in English under very stressful circumstances.

As a sentence, I would disagree with the above sentence, because there are going to be local groups of 'Native' speakers who will never use English for international communication. Similarly for 'non-native' speakers. Does it really matter if people in China use a form of English that is totally unitelligible to anyone, other than other Chinese people using that form of English? There are enough Chinese people who speak a form of English to develop their own community.
Pos   Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:34 pm GMT
Does it really matter if people in China use a form of English that is totally unitelligible to anyone, other than other Chinese people using that form of English?

If they onlly use it intranationally, it doesn' matter at all.