several questions

ufo   Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:09 am GMT
"a sense of timing and acute observation, a passion for elegant ritual and the psychology mixed with physicality of a sport that is baffling to outsiders—all contributed to making Tom one of the greatest cricket commentator of his time."

How to paraphrase "a passion for elegant ritual and the psychology mixed with physicality of a sport that is baffling to outsiders"? I'm not sure about the following points.

Does "ritual" mean " sports rules"?
Does "a passion for ...the psychology mixed with physicality of a sport " mean "he is interested in the psychological and physical qualities of a cricketer"?
Does "baffling" mean "difficult to be understood by outsiders"?

A million thanks.
Robin   Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:04 pm GMT
Hello, I know precisely what this is about.

First of all, it is 'baffling to outsiders', which is part of the joy of belonging to this select group of people.

'UFO': the original enquirer, is obvious a visitor from another planet and cannot be expected to appreciate the finer subtleties of such an ancient and modern sport as cricket.

This is refering to one cricket commentator. I am sure that if I heard his voice I would at once be transported to a different place. A place that is both relaxing and involving.

Possibly an English speaking fan from the Indian sub-continent will be able to help answer your question. On the other hand, they will not have heard of this particular cricket commentator. It is all about being quintessentially English.
wiserthanyou   Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:21 am GMT
nibor.You know “狗屁” language.
wiserthanyou   Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:15 am GMT
nibor.You know “bullshit” language.