Guten Abend, Gute Nacht and others

Carlos molina   Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:13 pm GMT
Hi. I am a spanish native speaker. I learned english by myself and now I am learning german using Supermemo. There is a problem with some of my items, specially farewells, thankings, greetings, etc: some of my items are too similar (My questions are in spanish and my answers in german)

example 1:
item1
Q: Buenas noches
A: Guten Abend
item2
Q: Buenas noches
A: Gute Nacht

example 2:
item1
Q: Muchas gracias
A: Vielen Dank
item2
Q: Muchas gracias
A: Danke schön

You will notice that questions in example 1 are the same. Why? Because there is only one "Buenas noches" in spanish. So, to differentiate, I would use Buenas noches 1 and Buenas noches 2. You will realize this is not the best. To differentiate well between these items I would have to know exactly when "Guten Abend" is used and when
"Gute Nacht" is used. Any help?
By the way, I realized I´ve never really known the difference between "Good evening" and "Good night" in english.
And about thankings (example 2), How do I know when to use "Vielen Dank" or "Danke schön"? (at least the best translation in english)

De antemano, muchas gracias J/ Thanks in advance J/ vorherein Danke (?)
greg   Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:33 pm GMT
guten Abend — bonne soirée — buona sera — buenas tardes

gute Nacht — bonne nuit — buona notte — buenas noches

d'avance merci = merci d'avance — (besten) Dank im Voraus
Carlos Molina   Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:59 pm GMT
<guten Abend — bonne soirée — buona sera — buenas tardes>

But I have the four first chapters of the Radio Deutsche Welle German by Radio Course and they say "Guten tag" is used for the morning and the afternoon (buenos días y buenas tardes)
greg   Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:48 am GMT
Ah, alors dans ce cas : guten Abend — bonne soirée — buona sera, simplement.

:)
Dr. William E. Kelly Jr.   Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:53 pm GMT
You say Guten Abend as a greeting to someone. You only use Gute Nacht when departing for the night (or going to bed).

Dr. WEK, Jr.
Delia   Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:05 pm GMT
<<By the way, I realized I´ve never really known the difference between "Good evening" and "Good night" in english.>>

Same as the examples above. Use "good evening" when greeting someone, and "good night" when expressing your farewells.
Chris   Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:16 pm GMT
In portuguese there is entardecer. It is when the' tarde' ends, that's a good time to say : good evening or guten abend.
the evening / abend / avond is between entardecer and anoitecer.

Interesting is that anoitecer is when the night begins and atardecer is when the afternoon finishes.
Carlos Molina   Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
Danke schön
Guest   Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
Vielen Dank and Danke Schoen mean about the same thing.

Vielen Dank literally means "(with) Many Thanks"

and Danke Schoen means "Thanks beautifully"

they are interchangeable.