Objective criteria to judge the pleasantness of an accent?

Uvillo   Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:15 am GMT
<<The sound of heavy machinery could be called noise but with its droning rhythm it can sound quit musical. ... On the other hand, right now there is music filling the room in which I sit. How I wish whoever turned that bloody racket on would pull the plug. >>

Do not split my words out of context, OK?!!
When I say "Nobody in their right minds would mistake noise for music" , I am talking about the issue of linguistic musical pleasantness in direct reference to what Liz claimed ----- "All of us have a totally different way of perception", too hasty a claim and misleading.

Let me re-emphasize one point ---- The sound quality of anything that involves sound, which is just there, can definitely come under physical/acoustic analyses.
Uvillo   Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:39 am GMT
Liz
<<How dare you call an accent 'noise'? (I might be slightly missing the point, but this is what you are insinuating, isn't it?) None of them are 'noise', all of them are 'music', for God's sake! >>
U miss my point not a little (See my thread above in response to Jim)!

<<How dare you call an accent 'noise'>>
Dare I? But according to your reasoning, I dare because "All of us have a TOTALLY DIFFERENT WAY OF PERCEPTION"! Unfortunately, u fail to see my point, if not willfully misinterpreting.
<<None of them are 'noise', all of them are 'music', for God's sake! >>
According to the logic of Jim, any one of them can be noise of unbearably tremendous torture, for God's sake!
Aha, yet when you say "all of them are 'music', for God's sake!", that is precisely what I intend. True, all of them are music, but only to receptive and appreciative ears (to the hearing impaired, they mean nothing, still less to say pleasantness ). Then there is still the compelling job left for the kind of ears to distinguish which kind of music (accent/language) is more musically pleasant than others.
Liz   Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:15 am GMT
<<According to the logic of Jim, any one of them can be noise of unbearably tremendous torture, for God's sake!>>

Yeah, that's true, from a different angle.