Best way to Learn British English?

chidagam srinivas   Fri May 19, 2006 10:35 am GMT
Can we say the following sentences interchangeably.

1. Having deceived by him, I will not lend him money.

2. As I was deceived by him, I will not lend him money.

regards
Guest   Fri May 19, 2006 11:10 am GMT
Yes, just add "been" to 1.

1. Having BEEN deceived by him, I will not lend him money.
2. As I was deceived by him, I will not lend him money.
Damian from Edinburgh   Fri May 19, 2006 12:51 pm GMT
If you want to learn British English in the red red raw get your aurals logged into this lot on Ch4TV:

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/bigbrother/profiles/pics/315_10.htm?linkfrom=bigbrother_profiles_pics_315_9&link=link_next&article=

BB7 has started.......click back and forth on the links to see the incarcerated wacky housemates on display.

If I'm at home and watch any episode:

Glyn, from Wales....wants to display his goodies to millions....can only express himself when naked.

Shahbaz, the guy from Scotland is a non starter for me....OK he's gay but mega OTT supercamp....no way....a gay Muslim as well! and tri lingual. I wonder what his trilinguals are. Says he's capable of spontaneous combustion.

George is mega mega posh English English RP....public school nephew of the Duke of Sutherland (yay! another Scottish connection)...hangs out around Sloane Square and terrified of trannies and hyper gay men.

Poor wee Pete has Tourettes syndrome...should be interesting.....all those uncontrollable oaths and obscenities but so what....that's normal in the BB house. Mega wacky guy.

Imogen...another one from Wales - looks really cool but without any natural brains....trying to accumulate brain cells on a day by day basis...speaks Welsh fluently.

Grace - people confuse her with Paris Hilton...looks good but snores like a 90 year old man.

Richard - Canadian gay waiter and a "Canadian terrorist" who wants to wrestle down all the guys in the house and make Glyn regret the red speedos and hopes to visit a men's prison for one day only.

Dawn - hates people and life generally....misery is her joy in life...sounds like a barrel of chuckles. Wants to come back in another life as either Jesus or Hitler.

Bonnie - from Leicestershire...lovely geezer bird - does it all fo the lads...her brother really is called Clyde.

Lea - biggest boobs in Britain....two jobs saw to that....doesn't consider herself a freak...just abnormal. If people don't like her "they can just sod off".

Mikey - hates feminist women because they don't go the whole five sets at Wimbledon yet still want the same dosh as the men who do have to go the full five sets at Wimbledon...and camp guys make him angry.

Lisa - a Chinese lassie with the broadest of Mancunian twangs. Has such a loud voice she's actually made herself deaf.

Sezer - London entrepreneur who only ever dresses in white - has spent £5000 on alcohol on one good night out.

Nikki - promo girl who wants to become a Footballer's Wife - says she hasn't had a good sh*g in months......hopes one of the straight guys will put her right in the BB House.

If you want to learn various examples of British English:

Big Brother
Started 18.05.06
Ch4 TV
On tonight and every night at 21:00hrs with repeats and 24 hour Live Action on E4.

I reckon I'll go out pubbing / clubbing instead....I dinnae want to learn British English, thanks.
jacob   Mon May 29, 2006 1:07 am GMT
What is fish and chips
kessu   Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:22 pm GMT
is there this kind of vinegar sold in shops, for example with 30% acidity, where is no malt, see-trough like water, when used need to dilute, debase.
Jonny The Midlander   Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:45 pm GMT
"Alright mucker", "How you doin', mon", "Alright, boss", "How's things, jockey". These are just a few of the greetings spoken in my part of England, the midlands. My favorite reply being "not too dusty"

See this link for a video tutorial on roundabouts.

http://www.driving-test-success.com/roundabouts/roundabouts.html
Guest   Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:29 pm GMT
FEMALE POEM

I want a man who's handsome, smart and strong
One who loves to listen all day long,
One who thinks before he speaks,
One who'll call, not wait for weeks.
I want him to be gainfully employed,
And when I spend his cash, not be annoyed.
Pulls out my chair and opens my door,
Massages my back and begs to do more.
Oh! For a man who makes love to my mind,
And knows what to answer to: "How big is my behind?"
I want this man to love me to no end,
And forever be my loving friend.

---------------------------
MALE POEM

I'll only take a deaf-mute nymphomaniac
with huge boobs, who owns a
liquor store , sports cars and motorbikes,
I know this doesn't rhyme ...but I don't give a (BLEEP).
Liz   Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:50 pm GMT
<<BB7 has started.......click back and forth on the links to see the incarcerated wacky housemates on display.>>

When will people get enough of this Big Brothel :-)) thing, for BLEEP's sake???

I've only watched some episodes of the first series. That was interesting but enough... Who on earth is going to watch all the seven series???
Krika Kasian   Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:44 pm GMT
Why is it said about tea Indian or China instead of Indian or Chinese?
krika_kasian@umanitoba.ca