Gerry Rafferty's "th"'s

Rene   Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:35 pm GMT
Just wondering why in every song his th sounds like a t. Does that make sense? Like when he says "through my darkest nights" in Right Down the Line (which by the way I think is one of the most beautiful love songs ever and I still haven't gotten tired of listening to it) it sounds more like "trew my darkest nights". I know he's from Edinburgh (hey, maybe Damian could help me out since that's his hometown too) but I've never noticed this in anyone else from Edinburgh. Thanks in advance!
a.p.a.m.   Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:55 pm GMT
Gerry Rafferty. An awesome performer. I remember when his big album "City to City" came out back in 1978.
Robin   Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:17 pm GMT
Irish people typically do not pronounce 'th' sounds.

So, the typical Irish expression is: "I tink I see something."

Gerry Rafferty was born in Paisley, Scotland in 1947, the son of a Scottish mother and an Irish father. His father was deaf but still enjoyed singing, mostly Irish rebel songs, and his early experience of music was a combination of Catholic hymns, traditional folk music, and 50's pop music. By 1968, at age 21, Rafferty was a singer-guitarist and had started trying to write songs professionally,

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/rafferty_gerry/bio.jhtml
Guest   Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:46 pm GMT
>>Irish people typically do not pronounce 'th' sounds<<

I enjoy hearing them pronounce third "turd", three as "tree" and thanks "tanks".