Which accent of non-native speakers of English do u like?

Uvillo   Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:11 am GMT
As English is virtually the global language for international communication, it follows that a great many non-native accents of English exist alongside the native ones. Little wonder we encounter non-native English speakers with, say, Arabic accent, French accent, German accent, French accnet, Spanish accent, Indian-Parkistan accent, South-East Asian accent, Chinese accent, Japanese accent...(Admittedly there are people who acquire English as a foreign language with native-like accent. But it can be safely said that the number of such people is small. Here we are concerned with AVERAGE non-native English speakers)

So of the various non-native accents of English speakers in general, which one do you yourself find nice and pleasant? which one do u find difficult for the ear for comprehension?
Cow   Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:36 am GMT
I really like Japanese-English, German-English, French-English and Russian-English. I think they sound really cool and dignified if they don't have too strong of an accent.
Mary   Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:35 am GMT
French, definitely. It has to do with the cadence - they tend to stress only the syllable at the end of each word group and use stress more lightly than native speakers, which puts more emphasis on what words they're actually saying (a lot of the meaning in what native speakers say comes from hard emphasis on certain words). It sounds "really cool and dignified" like Cow says.
Guest   Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:53 am GMT
I dislike the English spoken by certain Germans. I have found their accent abit too gutter for such a language like English.
Uvillo   Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:48 am GMT
I don't like Indian-Parkistan accent. Just little aesthetic pleasantness about that accent.
Cow   Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:34 am GMT
>> I don't like Indian-Parkistan accent. Just little aesthetic pleasantness about that accent. <<

yeah, it sounds like they're mumbling, and they do not articulate their words very clearly