Motivation..for Mxsmanic

Steve K   Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:00 am GMT
We all know that a motivated learner will learn. How do you motivate learners and keep them motivated ? Do testing and quizzes motivate or just remind them of school and discourage them? What turns your students on to becoming independent learners?
Vlad   Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:55 am GMT
Tell them not to learn, it's called reverse psychology (I've seen it work, trust me)
Mxsmanic   Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:19 pm GMT
In my case, students would not be coming to language classes if they were not motivated, as it is generally their own choice. Students like this don't need to be externally motivated.

Some students are required to attend classes by their employers. They have only an indirect motivation in that their employer says they must learn English (often as a condition of future promotion, and sometimes just as a condition of keeping the job). Depending on how disciplined they are, this may or may not be sufficient.

However, I don't know how to motivate students who truly don't want to learn English. I've never seen anyone who has managed to learn any language with any degree of fluency without a motivation for doing so. More generally, I don't think anyone ever learns to do anything well without motivation, and motivation usually implies some sort of interest. Motivation is everything in language acquisition.
leopard   Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:05 am GMT
I think that most English learners have the desire to learn English well,more or less whatever.Someones' are high,elses' are low.So what i want to say is that,for the students whose motivation are not very high,they should be guided from any hobby,or should say "sparked" from some fever and fancy,football fans eg.Here,one of my Chinese friends who's a fantastic football fan and not good at English, but he knows a lot of football vocabulary which included a lot of cities' name ,most of the football teams' name and most of plarys' name all round the world,even the girlfriends' name of some famous sports stars.It's unbelievable.Once I asked him how he could do that,he just said I don't know,I don't why,I just like it,and them come into my brain once,twice and i got it at the third times.
So when we try to motivate students ,we should begin from their existed hobby.Need first,satisfaction second.Purpose first,action second.whatever,English is used for us people to know what we want to know.(May there're some mistakes in my post,i will appreciate it if you recorrect it)
abc   Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:11 am GMT
"Tell them not to learn, it's called reverse psychology"
Like if Steve K does not know what "reverse psychology" is