happy christmas or merry christmas?

myself   Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:21 am GMT
It's Christmas soon and it is time to decide the gifts! I have already decided a gift for Adam. The gift is a white t-shirt with big, red letters on. And the letter say: "I'm so proud of my Anglo-Saxon blood".
Victoria   Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:46 am GMT
Great gift! Merry christmas I'd say it sounds more cheery.
Robin   Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:11 pm GMT
I have been very impressed by Adam. He certainly deserves his 'T' shirt, and he has something to be proud about.

A Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

Unless you live in Scotland, where you will have Hogmanay! But of course, you knew that.
myself   Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:49 pm GMT
Adam, here is thy t-shirt!
Jim   Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:57 am GMT
I'd usually say "Happy Christmas" but you then come a cropper with the "New Year" bit. "Happy Christmas & a Happy New Year" sounds repetative and "Happy Christmas & a Merry New Year" sounds muddled. Thus if I have the forethought, I'll go with the "Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year". Sometimes I'll just say "Merry Christmas" by itself but, of course, the most appropriate season's greetings would be "Bah humbug".
Uriel   Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:33 pm GMT
You're such a grinch, Jim!
myself   Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
any more people who want a t-shirt?
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:13 pm GMT
Here's what we do in Scotland over the festive period:

Christmas here is celebrated with much less vigour and passion and wild fervour than is HOGMANAY (The New Year). We reserve all our energies for that occasion rather than Christmas, so much so that we in Scotland have to have another Bank Holiday attached to New Year's Day - So both 01 January AND 02 January are Public Holidays in Scotland. England and Wales have to make do with just the 1st. :-) With the equivalent of Loch Lomond's water capacity converted to alcohol for consumption in Edinburgh alone is it any wonder we need the extra day.....Ha!

Anyway, here we usually say Happy Christmas rather than Merry Christmas.

Scotland's Hogmanay. The night of 31 December/01 January in Edinburgh city centre sees the largest street party in the entire world, with a fireworks display to go with it. For public safety reasons no more than 100,000 people are allowed by the Lothian and Borders Police to enter the Princes Street Gardens for the extravaganza. The rest of the crowds have to spread out over the rest of the city centre, especially the Rose Street area which is pretty wild even on an ordinary Saturday night.

If "Auld Lang Syne" is the traditional song which is sung before the bells ring out for midnight on Hogmanay (31 December), then "A Guid New Year" is the most likely song to be sung once the new year has arrived.

All self respecting Scots sing out with Auld Lang Syne (the true version and not the English one!) and then A Guid New Year soon after the first few chimes of midnight have died away:

A Guid New Year to ane an' a'
A guid new year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.
An' may ye ne'er hae cause to mourn,
To sigh or shed a tear;
To ane an'a baith great an' sma'
A hearty guid New year.

Chorus
A guid New Year to ane an' a'
An' mony may ye see,
An' during a' the years to come,
O happy may ye be.

O time flies past, he winna wait,
My friend for you or me,
He works his wonders day by day,
And onward still doth flee.
O wha can tell when ilka ane,
I see sae happy here,
Will meet again and merry be
Anither guid New year.

Chorus

We twa ha'e baith been happy lang.
We ran about the braes.
In yon wee cot beneath the tree,
We spent our early days.
We ran about the burnie's side,
The spot will aye be dear,
An'those that used to meet us there,
We'll think on mony a year.

Chorus

Noo let us hope our years may be
As guid as they ha'e been,
And trust we ne'er again may see,
The sorrows we ha'e seen.
And let us wish that ane an'a'
Our friends baith far an' near,
May aye enjoy in times to come -
A hearty guid New year!
trtejt8t   Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:43 pm GMT
rodotu tjtlu flrigk gjtord jf fittjgd itordutjidg ggijff. trutf rurn runfv edhbu igg bgyf?jjsjfur dyrjfdkdy dhd fhfnf dugjga auahdhfgjf fhhgv. dhe eyhfhsv.
dana   Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:20 am GMT
I thing that we can use both .I'm from Bulgaria and here we say: 'Marry Chritmas'...but I hting both are true
Anyway...important is : Are we celebrete it? You can finr many interesting gifts and goods at www.allyoucanbuyonline.com for the holidays!