plz help me

ss   Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:10 am GMT
hi guys....
i got some problem..my instructor has asked me to do a presentation regarding Sociolinguistics, she wants a data on any topic of this field like
1- Diglossia or
2-code-switching or
3-language revival
if u have any idea abt these issues plz tell me abt it and give new examples in a simple way..
My Regards...........
Presley.   Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:09 am GMT
Please use proper spelling. This is not a chat room.
Guest   Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:10 am GMT
its not ur business
Robin   Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:59 pm GMT
Look up: Wikipedia

In linguistics, diglossia is a situation where, in a given society, there are two (often) closely-related languages, one of high prestige, which is generally used by the government and in formal texts, and one of low prestige, which is usually the spoken vernacular tongue.
Robin   Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:09 pm GMT
This is from the article in Wikipedia. It is the section that is most relevant to the English language, which is what this part of the Forum is about.

English during the Norman invasion
Historically, England had diglossia between a Romance-speaking ruling class and Germanic-speaking commoners. English was created through the merger of this divide. However, there is still evidence of a division, between "academic" words and "common" words. Many "power" words (such as bailiff) are "academic".

Where English has had doublets, one Germanic and one Romance, either a semantic shift has taken place (as in canine and wolfish), or one word has disappeared from everyday vocabulary.