Mr. curious   Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:51 pm GMT
http://henry.thefreelibrary.com/

"If man knew how women pass the time when they are alone, they’d never marry." by O Henry.

I am curious to know what does women do in seclusion that would force men to never get married with them. I can not figure out the main reason behind it. Any takers???
User   Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:55 pm GMT
It means that if you knew what women did when they were alone, you wouldn't want to marry them.
Mr. curious   Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:52 am GMT
I knew the meaning of the quote. It was straigth forward. I am wondering about what kind of stuff they do when they are a one that would put men away from getting married with them. I am interested to knowi their stuff when they are alone. Get it, User??
Mary   Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 am GMT
Women in groups gossip and scheme. You might not believe the personal secrets (theirs and of course those of their thusbands) that they share with one another. They'll make all kinds of scathing remarks about other people, but when said people are present, they will pretend to be kind. Women in groups also come up with plans, especially to find men for one another. First, they pick out an available man based on some bogus criteria: tall, dark, handsome, rich, successful. Next, they work together to get one woman a date with the man. Later they work as a team to pressure the man into marrying the woman.

Women's actions in groups prove that you can't trust the sincerity of a woman's emotions or motivations, which makes becoming romantically involved with a woman dangerous. Furthermore, men would be turned off to (become uninterested in) a woman if they saw that side of her.
Robin   Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:53 am GMT
"If man knew how women pass the time when they are alone, they’d never marry." by O Henry.

I have looked at this quote and puzzled over it.

What do women do to pass the time, when they are alone?

Do they fantasize about sex, and romance, and 'other men'?

Possibly: Why it makes an interesting quote, is because it doesn't tell you the answer. It begs the question: What do! women do, when they are alone?

Does a man expect his wife to be faithful, and loyal, and to respect him, more than other men?

What do men do to pass the time, when they are alone?

Perhaps that is the way to solve the riddle.
Mari   Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:11 pm GMT
this quote is written by O henry.i want to know that if he has written anywhere what do the women do whan they are alone.it 's clear that he knew what they do when they are alone.is anything known about his opinion of it?