You all in California

Sagen   Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
Is it true that most people from California say "you all" when referring to many people? I can usually identify someone as being from California when I hear "you all". Californians sound a little different from Texans though, because they say it slower, whereas Texans say it a lot faster, and Californians put in more "likes" in their sentences. Has anyone else noticed this? Are there any other ways of identifying a Californian accent?
j   Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:01 pm GMT
CaliGirl   Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:54 am GMT
"Is it true that most people from California say "you all" when referring to many people? I can usually identify someone as being from California when I hear 'you all'"

?? No, Californians say "everyone"...I've never heard anyone here say "you all" unless they're mocking another accent.

"...and Californians put in more "likes" in their sentences. Has anyone else noticed this?"

Yeaahhh...I think mostly ALL of the has world noticed... :)

"I can usually identify someone as being from California when I hear "you all".

That last statement was kinda confusing. You first asked whether if Californians say "you all" was true or not, and then you later stated that you knew. If you knew all along, why did you ask in the first place?...does that make any sense? Now I'm confusing myself :P
CaliGirl   Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:56 am GMT
Whoops, that was suposed to be "ALL of the world has".
Uriel   Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:40 am GMT
"You all" is common throughout the country, not just California. "Ya'll" is the (mainly) southern and Texan contraction of "you all" (and Oklahoman, and anyone else who cares to use it).
Sagen   Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:19 pm GMT
What I meant was that I've noticed that many Californians say "you all" instead of "you guys". "you all" is not the same as the Southern "y'all". I've heard some people say "you all have to do it."
Guest   Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:23 pm GMT
"You all have to do it." does not mean the same as "You guys have to do it." I am from California, and I would say "You all have to do it." if I wanted to say that all the people I was speaking to had to, rather than just some of them. If it were merely the plural form of "you", then I would say "you guys".
Guest 2   Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
On the topic of Californian accents...CALIFORNIANS DO NOT SAY "LIKE" EVERY OTHER WORD!! We do tend to say "like" a bit more often than others, but only because we substitute "said" or "thought" with it. So if you havn't been to California, don't judge our accents based on what the movies or rumour say they sound like.

Also, California is NOT just beaches and palm trees. I've traveled around the US a lot, and it's really tiring to be repeatedly asked, "So, do you live on the beach?" and "WHAT? There's snow in California??" We DO have everything from mountains to volanoes to glaciers to beaches to deserts to forests to valleys.
Travis   Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:09 am GMT
>>"You all have to do it." does not mean the same as "You guys have to do it." I am from California, and I would say "You all have to do it." if I wanted to say that all the people I was speaking to had to, rather than just some of them. If it were merely the plural form of "you", then I would say "you guys".<<

I myself have a similar distinction between "you guys" and "you all", and do not perceive them as being synonymous. I definitely do use "you all", but it is not a second person plural pronoun in the way that "you guys" is IMD, rather being a specific usage explicitly referring to all of those being spoken to. It also is not synonymous with "y'all" as used in many dialects which use such as a second person plural pronoun, which I would equate instead with "you guys" IMD.
Sam   Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:16 am GMT
"I've traveled around the US a lot, and it's really tiring to be repeatedly asked, "So, do you live on the beach?" and "WHAT? There's snow in California??"

I've also heard non-Californians trying to sound Californian by saying dude and dudette. While we do say dude, I have never, I repeat, NEVER heard dudette used in Califorania without mockery. Here's a little guide on Californian addresses.

Dude--Male or female, if you're talking to someone; usually if the person is an acquaintance, not a serious friend. Also talking about a male.

Chick--If you're talking about a female.

Man--A friendlier address than dude, depending on how you're using it.

Fag--Hostile form of address.

Dudette--Never, ever, ever, ever, ever used. EVER.
Guest   Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:35 am GMT
Some Californian girls do say "like" every other word. Usually blond ones.
Guest   Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:49 am GMT
Wow, something coming from Brennus that isn't hostile? =O

Alert the media ;)
Guest   Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 am GMT
Oh Brennus, don't take what I said offensively. It was all in jest, all in jest, my friend.
Guest 2   Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:28 pm GMT
"Some Californian girls do say "like" every other word. Usually blond ones. "

Firstly, it's "blonde" not "blond", and second, it's not EVERY OTHER WORD. Be serious.
Guest   Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:41 am GMT
>> Firstly, it's "blonde" not "blond", and second, it's not EVERY OTHER WORD. Be serious. <<

Both are acceptable spelling variants.