Do you hate it too when ...

Sander   Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:41 pm GMT
I hate when people place ' (do) you know what I mean (?)' in every sentence.

What's your biggest frustration about English and the way some pronounce it?
Adam   Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:45 pm GMT
I hate it when people in Birmingham pronounce "no" as "now" due to their peculiar Birmingham accent, do you know what I mean?

And it's the same with "know"

When Brummies say "I know" they pronounce it as "I now."
Elaine   Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:51 pm GMT
Yeah, I know what you mean. I get a little annoyed when people keep throwing in "you know" and "(you) know what I'm sayin'?" after each sentence.

A more recent and annoying trend among the younger generation is how they call everybody "fool" or "foo'"-- "Yo fool", "what's up, fool?", "see that fool over there?"
Candy   Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:55 pm GMT
The way a lot of English people end every sentence with 'yeah?', ie 'I was in the pub last night, yeah? And I met this bird, yeah?'

People over-using the word 'literally' - ie 'it was literally the best time I've ever had, and I was literally just so drunk'

People saying 'I don't do alcohol'
Mitch   Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:05 pm GMT
Two things in the States:

Uptalking: For almost everyone under 25 (and many others), declarative sentences sound like questions.

Like: The same folks use "like" every few words, including to replace "said."

Typical sentence: And, there's like this teacher? And he's like, "You're missing you're homework"? And I'm like trying to think of a good answer? And my friend is like...
Rolls   Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:13 pm GMT
I see that like usage like nonstop, People are like, I'm like going to movies with Ken and Madeline and like, I hear its supposed to be a great movie. Like totally, man like and I want popcorn too, like with my diet coke. Like hurry up Ken the movie's starting, like uh, ok shhhhhhh....

Its starting....

I hear that on many occasions by people who like to use like alot cause they like to be like everyone else.
Damian   Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:34 pm GMT
I really hate that when it happens, yeah......you know what I mean, like? It does my head in.
Candy   Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:36 pm GMT
I, like, totally know what you mean, Damian. It's like, literally the most annoying thing ever, yeah? Innit?
Damian   Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:36 pm GMT
**'I don't do alcohol' **

I'd never say that....know what I mean, yeah?
Damian   Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:37 pm GMT
Yeah, Candy...yeah, I agree wiv ya....good innit, yeah? Really does do my head in, yeah.
Candy   Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:44 pm GMT
Well, at the end of the day, basically, that's what's it all, like, about, innit? Dja know worra mean, like? Dunt 'alf do me 'ead in. Innit?
Frances   Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:45 pm GMT
Sander

*********I'm guilty!**********
Guest   Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:38 am GMT
I don't have a problem with questioning intonation, "you know?", "right?", "isn't it?", etc to get someone's attention or acknowledgement.
Gjones2   Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:58 am GMT
But how often? If every sentence or two you need to confirm that the other person is paying attention, then there may be something essentially wrong with the way you're communicating (or you need to find someone else to talk to, someone more likely to want to hear what you're saying). I suppose that in some cases this has to be done with small children, but it shouldn't be happening with adults.
Guest   Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:54 am GMT
How often? Every sentence or two is over the top; that seems more a nervous tic than anything. I notice that behavior from athletes who are put on the spot in the media by interviewers. It's obvious they feel uncomfortable with the setting and sometimes with the questions.