"I" in "I thank you"

mike   Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:25 am GMT
Does the "I" in " I thank you" serves anything? Any particulare situation where it is necessary to use it, or better to drop it in all cases?
Robin   Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:36 am GMT
Saying "I thank you", sounds rather formal and pompous. Rather like Queen Victoria saying: "We are not amused".

As a foreign person speaking english, do not worry too much about upsetting people or being impolite. People understand that English is not your first language.

Sometimes these expressions can sound archaic.

"I Thank you, kind Sir"

The best way of getting an impression of what people actually say is to watch a lot of films and TV.
mike   Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:59 am GMT
Thanks Robin. Well, actually, I would never say it that way when talking to people, but just thinking of the impression it gives when used in writting. For example like in here:

Dear Robin,

I Thank you for the valuable information you are giving...

what would you think of someone wrote you this?
Robin   Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:38 pm GMT
Hi Mike

To a certain extent, I think that the more formal English used when writing, should be as similar as possible to spoken English.

It is just that in 'spoken English', words do not always come out in the form of complete sentences; and people are much more likely to use colloquial expressions, slang terms and abbreviations.

So, to answer your question, I would not use the expression:

<< I Thank you ... >>

In a Formal Speech, someone might say:

"I would like to give a big 'Thank You' to all the peple who have helped us make this event such a sucess."

They might then wait for the audience to clap.

Bye for now