About a word

Jijia   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:03 pm GMT
About the word ' dummy '

dummy = sample (right or wrong)

I have something that I don' t know how to call:

You know fireworks, and I have some fireworks without gunpowder in them. I am asked to display some fireworks without gunpowder when I want to attend the exhibition.

So, what should call it?
(gunpowderless fireworks)?
(powderless fireworks)?
(non-gunpowder fireworks)?
(dummy) or (sample)?

I can explain: this is sample without gunpowder in it.
But it is too much of a mouthful to say such a long sentence.
How to use only one word to describe that?
Thanks!
User   Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
>> (gunpowderless fireworks)? <<
sounds a bit awkward

>> (powderless fireworks)? <<
sounds like some new fangled fireworks, that use some mysterious chemical, that are quite real.

>> (non-gunpowder fireworks)? <<
Real firewords that use something other than gunpowerder

>> sample <<
A sample of real fireworks

Why not say: these are non-exploding fireworks. Otherwise it sounds like they are real, but just use some sort of alternate fuel.
Mary   Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:55 pm GMT
Dummy is not the same as sample.

A dummy means a fake that doesn't work. For example, you can make a model of a car that doesn't have an engine: that's a dummy. It shows the customer what the car looks like, but it doesn't do anything itself.

A sample is a small amount of a product. For example, if you want to sell someone a box of chocolates, you might give them just one chocolate to taste.

The difference is that a sample is exactly like the real product you want to sell, only in a smaller amount. A dummy is different from the real product: it doesn't work. Could a customer actually set off one of your gunpowderless fireworks? If not, then they are "non-exploding fireworks" or "dummy fireworks." If they actually work, then they are "samples of gunpowderless fireworks."

Does that make sense?
Jijia   Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:11 am GMT
They are dummy fireworks. (Dummy makes it not work.)

It means it is non-exploding fireworking.

We are expected to display the safe products in the exhibition.
Guest   Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:42 am GMT
Why not just put a big sign on them that says: "FAKE FIREWORKS"? Then nobody will get scared.