Can someone translate this??

Fred   Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:50 am GMT
Would someone please translate this for me:

Unða aftera beginn taikjan at marin, unða goðurun selbaz du himma maniga, swa borisaz ina faranðan in skipan setjan in marin; unða alla sa managi uiðra marin was ana staða.
Fred   Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:07 am GMT
anyone? I think it might be Icelandic or something.
JR   Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:51 am GMT
Well I ran it through an Icelandic to English translator and no word was translated. Perhaps it's a previous version of Icelandic, such as Old Icelandic or maybe even Old Norwegian.
Fredrik from Norway   Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:40 am GMT
To me it looks like a fake mix of urnordisk/Proto-Norse (e.g. the w's and z's) and real Norse, even with a later Low German loan (be-ginn).
If I were to guess about what it means I would say something about dragging a mare (female horse) onto a ship, but it really doesn't make much sense to me.
todosmentira   Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:24 pm GMT
faroese?
Guest   Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:52 pm GMT
The text you entered:

Unða aftera beginn taikjan at marin, unða goðurun selbaz du himma maniga, swa borisaz ina faranðan in skipan setjan in marin; unða alla sa managi uiðra marin was ana staða

leads to the following results:

Indonesian 206
Malay 198
Romanian 186
Icelandic 182
Tagalog 182

http://www.eidetica.com/services/guesser

Wow, that was interesting.
suomalainen   Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:13 pm GMT
I agree with Fredrik. Maybe somebody has tried to make some kind of Old Norse (or modern Icelandic). Something like this can take place when Finns write pseudo-Estonian without really knowing the language, they only try to make the text look like Estonian. In fact, ship companies that travel between Helsinki and Tallinn (capitals of Finland and Estonia) sometimes use this kind of "Estonian" in advertisements (for fun, and to make people pay attention to their ads).
Fredrik from Norway   Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:16 am GMT
LOL, really? But I guess that pseudo-Estonian is more understandable than that whacky pseudo-proto-Norse above?
Pendagoth   Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:44 am GMT
Well, it looks a little similar to Gothic. Based on my knowledge of Gothic, here's what I could get out of it:

Unða aftera beginn taikjan at marin, unða goðurun selbaz du himma maniga, swa borisaz ina faranðan in skipan setjan in marin; unða alla sa managi uiðra marin was ana staða.

Unða: and?
aftera: after
beginn: begin
taikjan: take
at: to
marin: the sea
unða: and
goðurun: ?
selbaz: ?
du: ?
himma: him
maniga: many
swa: so
borisaz: ?
faranðan: went
in: in
skipan: ship
setjan: set/sit?
in: in
marin: sea
unða: and
alla: all
sa: so
managi: many
uiðra: ?
marin: sea
was: was?
ana: ?
staða: ?
Fredrik from Norway   Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:06 pm GMT
Interesting! I guess it could be Gothic. In that case:
du: you

But still, it doesn't make much sense.
Don Juan   Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:10 am GMT
I think it's a formula how to organize a threesome...lol...just joking, but...hmmmm...it could be true though...since no one knows for sure....hmmmm....
King Bed   Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:24 am GMT
I thinks so too, it's missing the genders though... :-)