Cut Glass accent penetrates crowded Auction Room

Robin   Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:24 am GMT
I was in a crowded Auction Room yesterday, when I heard a particular woman talking. I would say that she had a 'cut glass' accent. Like a lot of descriptions, this one is double edged. Often it means that someone has a very clear and precise speaking voice. It can also mean that their voice is very penetrating. I think it might even be a characteristic of 'English Teachers' abroad.

People teaching English have to speak very clearly, in a way that is clearly understood. In ordinary conversation, people are often more concerned that they might be overheard. So, in practice, people tend to mumble more.
Bekka   Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:31 am GMT
Nope, I never mumble when in conversation. As far as I'm concerned, people can hear what I'm talking about. If they have something to say about my opinion, I'll just scold them for eavesdropping. What can they say to that? :)
User   Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:03 am GMT
I certainly don't mumble when conversing with people. I might not be shouting, but that doesn't mean I don't enunciate. If I don't want to be overheard I speak a little quieter, but I don't mumble. I've noticed that Brits and Australians/NZers tend to mumble a lot when speaking quietly, and if they don't have a very cultured accent, I have to ask them to repeat themselves several times.
Jim   Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:43 am GMT
What's the difference between speaking quitely and mumbling? Is this is silly question? We all know that these are different things but how do we determine what is mumbling and what is just speaking quitely?

To mumble is "to speak unclearly and quietly so that the words are difficult to understand" according to Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=52521&dict=CALD

So it's a question of how clear and easy to understand the quiet speech is. Let's say we have someone with a broad Australian accent speaking quietly to two friends, one from Texas and the other from Gundagai. The fella from Texas might not understand what is being said whereas the bloke from Gundagai might understand perfectly. Is the person mumbling?
User   Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:49 am GMT
>> The fella from Texas might not understand what is being said whereas the bloke from Gundagai might understand perfectly. Is the person mumbling? <<

Haha yeah I guess you're right.