I need to sound southern

Fred   Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:24 pm GMT
I'm going down South next week, and need a little help on the accent. How can I put on a Southern accent with minimal effort, so the people there don't think I'm a "darn Yank". It needs to be just strong enough so that I sound authentically Southern, but not strong enough to be hard to do? So, what do I do? Say "ah" for "I"?
Presley.   Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
You're pretty funny. People won't think you're a "darn Yank" unless you're going to visit a rural area. The south is not as ignorant as you think. Besides, Americans are terrible at imitating accents, so you should just stick to your own. People will know you're faking and it will be pretty embarassing.

When I went to a little town in Mississippi, the people at the gas station were shocked that I, an Asian American, spoke perfect English. They were like, "Wow, you speak English REAL good! Where're y'all from?".

If you must ABSOLUTELY try out the accent, look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_American_English
Rick Johnson   Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:27 pm GMT
Start by introducing your sister as your wife, blacken all your teeth save for two random front ones, learn all the words to Billy Ray Cyrus songs, carry a bucket of fried chicken, learn a couple of bluegrass numbers on the banjo.......then start work on the accent!

Say yes'n sir a lot........remember if they ever find out you're a yankie tharl hav yar screamin' like a piig bohy!
Uriel   Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:11 am GMT
You are not going to be fooling anyone with only a week's preparation, Fred. That's a silly idea! Be advised also that there are southerners who don't even have the accent. Mannerisms and social graces can often give them away, though.

The South is one of those places where you have to actually BE from there -- preferably for at least ten generations -- before you will be considered a native son. So don't try to be something you're not -- THAT will probably get you beat up more than a northern accent.

Plus, if you're only visiting, you won't be a damn Yankee anyway -- a Yankee is a northerner who comes to visit ... a damn Yankee is one who comes to stay. And Southerners don't say "Yank".
William-Robert   Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:45 pm GMT
For the next week, drink lbourbon, chew tobacco, hang out at shooting ranges, watch NASCAR and attend Baptist Church.

You'll pick it up.
Travis   Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:40 pm GMT
>>The South is one of those places where you have to actually BE from there -- preferably for at least ten generations -- before you will be considered a native son. So don't try to be something you're not -- THAT will probably get you beat up more than a northern accent. <<

I find the preferably for at least ten generations part funny as *very* many if not most families from around here in Wisconsin have not lived in North America period for that long.
Guest   Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:41 am GMT
Apparently, America also has regional prejudices!
Uriel   Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:41 am GMT
Not exactly news, guest.
Skippy   Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:58 am GMT
I'm from Dallas...and we don't care if you're from the north or stinky California or whatever...Most southerners will want to hear about it because there's the idealized few of especially New York City and Southern California...

Just please please PLEASE...for your own sake...do not try and speak with a southern accent...you'll either sound weird and people will look at you funny or they'll catch on and maybe not be as nice as they would be...

Just be yourself and everyone in the south will love you and wanna talk to you...try and fake southerness and feel their wrath...lol