What do you think my accent is?

Guest   Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:25 am GMT
I read the same passage that someone else did.

Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

Where do you think I am from?
Travis   Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:26 am GMT
You forgot to include a link to your speech sample, I should note.
Guest   Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:26 am GMT
Sorry. I forgot the most important part!

http://uploadhut.com/view.php/247570.wav

That's the sound file.
User   Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 am GMT
Well it was a quite distorted so it was difficult to tell. It sounds like sort of a Lite version of the Californian accent. So, Oregon or Arizona or Nevada perhaps?

Could you also say these words:
tomorrow
bat
ban
sorry
dull
dude
move
doll
gulf
dole
shopping
length
User   Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:39 am GMT
Oh and also: cot caught bag out and bad
Guest   Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:49 am GMT
Meesh   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:03 am GMT
I don't think you're Californian at all. There's a slight laziness to your pronunciation that puts you somewhere else. Maybe Northwestern? I actually have no idea, I'm just taking a stab. I know you don't sound like anyone around Southern California though.

Meesh.
Meesh   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:05 am GMT
Actually, now that I listen to it a second time, your accent resembles that of the stereotypical surfer guys, which means you're on one of the coasts.

By the way, try to be a little bit more enthusiastic! You sound so sad.

Meesh.
User   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:09 am GMT
You're a Southwesterner or Oregonian

-tomorrow: you say "tomahrow" I say "tomohrow"
-You say dull with an "o" sound; I would say it with the vowel in "fun".
-sorry: sahree
gulf: you say it with an "o"; I would say it like "gahlf"
shopping: uou say the -ing; I would say -een.
length: you say layngkth; I say lingkth
Guest   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:13 am GMT
Well, you're pretty on-target, User. I'm from Southern California. LA County, to be exact.
User   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:14 am GMT
>> I don't think you're Californian at all. There's a slight laziness to your pronunciation that puts you somewhere else. Maybe Northwestern?
<<

Well, I think he sounds more like a Southwesterner than an Oregonian. He certainly isn't a Washingtonian with his "tomahrows" and "doles"; unless he's from Vancouver which sounds more like an Oregon accent.
User   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:15 am GMT
>> Well, you're pretty on-target, User. I'm from Southern California. LA County, to be exact. <<

Cool! I was right!