Northwest vs Midwest vs Southwest

User   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:44 am GMT
The Midwestern, Northwestern, and Southwestern accents sound very similar usually, but did you know that you can usually tell whether someone has a Midwestern, a Northwestern, or a Southwestern accent just by asking them to say 5 words:

The words are cot, caught, bag, tomorrow, sorry, dull

If they say cot and caught differently, then they're probably from the Midwest
If they say "bag" close or identical to "beg" or "vague" then they're probably not from the Southwest (although use the other tests too to make sure)
If they say tomorrow as "tomahro" then they're probably not from the Northwest
If they say "sorry" like they say "tomorrow", then they're probably from the Southwest, or maybe the Midwest.
If they say "dull" as "dole" then they're probably not from the Northwest, or the Midwest, I think.

There are a few caveats of course. People from the city of Portland or Vancouver, WA sometimes have a Southwestern accent, but it's usually not as strong.
Meesh   Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:16 am GMT
How do you learn all this, User? You're brilliant!

Meesh.
Guest   Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:32 am GMT
Because that's his job. He is paid to do that.
Meesh   Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:56 am GMT
Haha. Do people really get paid to analyze accents?!

Meesh.
Uriel   Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:00 am GMT
<<If they say "bag" close or identical to "beg" or "vague" then they're probably not from the Southwest >>

???

I've lived in the Southwest for 12 years, and I've never noticed this.
User   Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:09 pm GMT
>> I've lived in the Southwest for 12 years, and I've never noticed this.<<

So, you're saying that you do pronounce "bag", "beg", and "vague" with the same vowel sound in all of them? Really? So, "he's a bagger" and "he's a begger" sound identical to you?
Guest   Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:19 pm GMT
I think Uriel got confused because you said "probably not" and she didn't see the "not".
Lazar   Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:53 pm GMT
As Guest said, Uriel just didn't see the "not". I'm pretty sure she's mentioned before that she pronounces "beg" and "vague" differently.
Uriel   Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:14 am GMT
You're right. Misread the post.
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:51 am GMT
Ureil, you are an early bird today, what's up with you?
Guest   Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:52 am GMT
''If they say tomorrow as "tomahro" then they're probably not from the Northwest ''

ah sound can be pronounced in many ways:

[A]
[Q]
[a]

so, pick your ''ah''.

I'd add:

if you pronounce NOT AT ALL with the same stressed vowel in NOT and ALL, you are from Canada, Western parts of USA, Western part of PA or from New England ;)
User   Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:51 pm GMT
>> ah sound can be pronounced in many ways:

[A]
[Q]
[a]

so, pick your ''ah''. <<

It doesn't matter. Any of those. Northwesterners typically use the same vowel as in "horse" rather than "party" for that word.
Uriel   Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:33 am GMT
<<Ureil, you are an early bird today, what's up with you?>>

I work at night, I sleep all day, so my hours are the opposite of most people's. That's why I talk to Europeans and Australians all the time -- they're up when I am. ;)