memorizing words

Leena   Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:12 am GMT
hi guys..
I have a problem in memorizing words. For example, I open a page in one novel and find a new word I immediately look it up in the dictionary then I try to copy it several times. The next day I forget it. Another thing is the difficulty in using it. Like the word (grassroots) i get mixed up.how to use it? in what way!! even if i find it in the dictionary i really dont know how to use it!!!!!!! tell me plz.
Guest   Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:53 pm GMT
Saudi Arabia is not producing top quality soccer players on the international scence because of a poor infrastructure at a grassroot level.(It means at a basic level, like at a school or college level, that's probably where most players get familiar with the basics of any sport or field).

Read example sentences too when you look up a new word and get a sense of it and try to use it in your writing whenever possible. That way you will remember the word easily as well. Use supermemo for memorizing your words if you are a tech-savvy.
leena   Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:21 am GMT
ur mentioning an example about my own country but its right anyways..
Bring me more tips guys.
Mohamed Mounir   Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:57 pm GMT
Leena, first of all, you do not have to TRY to memorize the new words. You are just making your life more difficult. Just try to read in English a smuch as possible and lot sof the new words will automatically be memorized by you, without you even noticing it. You can look the words up in a dictionary but better still try to guess their meaning from the context if you can. If you cannot guess from the context, then look them up in a dictionary. And be sure to use a good one like Collins Cobuild, because it will give you the best definitions and provide you with good examples. By carefully reading these examples you will get an idea how to use this word. But even then you may not be 100 percent sure how to use it unless you meet that word several more times in the natural contexts: in the books, magazines, websites, newspapers, in the native speakers speech etc. So the only way is to read as much as possible and your vocabulary will develop neturally without any big effort on your part to artificially "memorize" thousands of new words... Good luck.
PS
Are you really from Saudyya?