Make up your opinion about this, please.

Selcuk   Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:40 pm GMT
I'm a Turkish student and will get my undergraduate education next year on languages.If I stay in Turkey, I'll learn only English-Turkish interpretation.But if I go to Russia, to Belgorod actually, I'll learn English-Russian interpretation although I'll learn the two at the same time as they are not actually my native ones.Which one would you recommend me to do?Go Russia and learn the two (Russian-English) or stay in Turkey and learn only English.Russian is getting incredibly and increasingly important in Turkey as every year 2 million of Russians come to spend their summer seaside cities such as Izmir, Antalya, Mugla...
Ikasi   Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
If you go to russia i recommend you to learn russian because the russian can know english or turquish but If you learn the vernacular language of the country or you will go, you will be familiarized and likened certainly much more quickly in local people, you will know a language and that it is a very important experience, In more, Russian account 200000000 of speakers, and it is a part of the big Slavic family, so you will have besides opened supplementary doors in the Slavic world (Bulgarian, Polish, Croatian, Serbian, Ukrainian...)
Calliope   Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
I would advise you to do the English-Turkish one (your native language). I have also had my masters degree in interpreting, and from what I gathered, it is very rare that you will be called to interpret between two foreign languages professionally. Usually you will be asked to interpret into your native language, and in some occasions from your native language into a foreign one.

However: the languages you will use as an interpreter have nothing to do with your degree. If your Russian is good enough to interpret from, you will be able to work as a Russian-Turkish interpreter, even if your degree just says "English-Turkish". Furthermore, even after you obtain your degree, you can learn more languages if you want and work from them, if you reach a good enough level.

Interpreting studies basically focus on showing you techniques and give you the opportunity to practice. If you get a degree on interpreting, you get to choose which foreign languages you will work with, and most usually (if not always) you will be tested to prove you are good at it - despite what language combination your degree is on.

Last, I agree that whatever language combination you decide to take up on your interpreting studies, having a good level of Russian will be very useful (Russian is more and more important) and, like Ikasi said, it will open the door to learn more slavic languages more easily if you choose to.
Calliope   Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
Oh, I forgot to mention: interpreting (or even translating) between two foreign languages that are nothing alike can be extremely hard, even if you are really good at both of them. The mind makes some extra effort to convert the first language into your native one and then again into the second language. Twice as much work, and as an interpreter you need to think quick...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Selcuk   Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:13 pm GMT
Thank you both very much.I'll count on your advices.But I really think of going to Russia and learn the two.I wont necessarily interpret between the languages.Maybe I'll only speak them, right?Thanks again..