French vs German vs Spanish? Difficulty & Usefulness?

ZhongGuoRen   Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:29 am GMT
Libelle Reiher

Thank you for your comments on German, French, and Spanish.

Would you kindly launch into a detailed explanation on Italian then?
pyaarxto   Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:53 pm GMT
Nobody studies German. French has been long ago replaced by Spanish, in spite of struggling crazily with their Alliances Francaises around the world. Spanish is the world's widest chosen language after English. Haven't you had a look at statistics on that on Internet? This tendence is not temporal. The most growing economies are the ones from Latin America or Spain nowadays. Between China and Latin America the businesses are to grow amazingly. So, the German and other European economies, which will still have predominance in China, will be eventually shaded by Latin American and Brazilian economies. That's a fact.
I think you should read and enquiry more about this on the Internet.
ZhongGuoRen   Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 am GMT
pyaarxto

It's not that I don't hope things get along well as you described, and some of my friends who studied Spanish as their major, wish this dream could come true as soon as possible, but WHERE IS THE INDICATIONS? Would it be possible for us to see the great scene that Spanish becomes the 2nd important language (After English) in Mainland CHINA before we're all old?
Reality Bites   Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:32 am GMT
"Would it be possible for us to see the great scene that Spanish becomes the 2nd important language (After English) in Mainland CHINA before we're all old?"

China isn't the center of the universe Zhongou. There may very well be Spanish conglomerates in China, but they probably have adopted Chinese names moron.
ZhongGuoRen   Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:09 am GMT
Reality Bites

moron??? You spoke out an impolite contumelious word. Not ashamed?
Gallophile   Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:15 am GMT
"Nobody studies German. French has been long ago replaced by Spanish, in spite of struggling crazily with their Alliances Francaises around the world. Spanish is the world's widest chosen language after English. Haven't you had a look at statistics on that on Internet? This tendence is not temporal. The most growing economies are the ones from Latin America or Spain nowadays. Between China and Latin America the businesses are to grow amazingly. So, the German and other European economies, which will still have predominance in China, will be eventually shaded by Latin American and Brazilian economies. That's a fact.
I think you should read and enquiry more about this on the Internet. "

To pyaarxto: Spanish has replaced German in The US as the primary foreign language studied and French has maintained its status as the 2nd most widely studied foreign language .

Outside US Spanish is a behind French and maybe even German, Italian, Russian.

Spanish is less prestigious than French because Hispanic world is not a knowledge center such as in science, engineering, humanities, technology, etc. but in the world of entertainment, it's very useful and in trade too because of LatAm and large number of speakers.

And where did you get the information that it has displace French in North Africa? When in Northern Morocco it's use is fast declining. Your from India and you're supposed to be logical.

Maybe in India Spanish may replace English as its official language instead of Hindi.
pyaarxto   Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 am GMT
In any part of the world, Spanish is nowadays chosen as the 2nd language. Either in Iceland, New Zealand, South Africa, Egypt or Canada. I mean, this is from information on the internet. German and French are not as they were before. You should comment based on statistics, and where can u find them? On the internet.

"... and French has maintained its status as the 2nd most widely studied foreign language." It's not true anymore.

"...Outside US Spanish is a behind French and maybe even German, Italian, Russian." Whaaaat?

Well, my Chinese friend, choose whatever you want, but nearly more than 80% here thinks Spanish is the best choice. I HAVE READ ALL THE OPINIONS HERE so far.

CuĂ­date mucho.
GT Kathryn   Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:47 am GMT
I have been reading this thread and can't find a good solution for me. I am studying Economics and International Affairs, I already speak Spanish fluently, and I am in the process of learning Mandarin Chinese (which I love!). I am trying to decide what language to learn next, between German, French, and Japanese. I chose Mandarin over Japanese for functionality, so for my next language I want to choose something that will be useful AND fun to learn. I went to Germany this Christmas and absolutely loved it. However, I went to Paris and didn't have a very good time... surprising? I am willing to give it another chance if convinced. I am also fascinated by Japanese culture, but have heard that it is very hard to be accepted there as an outsider. What should I learn?
ZhongGuoRen   Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:22 am GMT
GT Kathryn

Above all, I'm very pleased to hear that you love to learn Mandarin Chinese.

Secondly, I don't recommend that you should try to learn Japanese because Japanese is becoming a "Loanword" language, whose "Katakana" are largely and widely self-created based mainly on the European vocabularies such as English, German, French, Italian, .... and so on, While "Hiragana" are mostly self-made based on Ancient Chinese, although Japanese Grammar is rather different from Chinese. In conclusion, Kanji + Hiragana +Katakana = Japanese. In fact, Japanese language consists of 2 large parts, it was deeply affected by Ancient Chinese in olden days, but in recent 20 years, deeply affected by USA and European languages. Especially Japanese has 3 kinds of writing Character, and when you read some Kanji words just without any Hiragana phonetic notations, perhaps you will really have a bad headache.

Thirdly, I suggest that you should learn German for its practical useness, and you can also choose French for its easiness to those fluent Spanish speakers. If I were you, I would just choose German instead of French.

Good Luck!
ZhongGuoRen   Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:32 am GMT
GT Kathryn

If you ever need any help with your Mandarin Chinese, just contact me by:

tsokaka@gmail.com
tsokaka@hotmail.com
Clemens from Metz   Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
One point that has not been mentioned so far is, that German rather than English is spoken in the new emerging countries in Eastern Europe. So if you ever want to visit or make business with Poland, Hungary, Baltic countries, Russia, Tcheckoslovakia etc., then better learn German. All other point in the before posted statement are true as well:

German makes you smart.it 's not a simplified language like spanish and french.

1. German is the most widely spoken language in Europe.
2.Germany has the 3rd strongest economy and is the 1 export nation in the world.
3.Knowing German creates business opportunities.
4. Germans are innovators.
5. Germans are the biggest spenders of tourist dollars in the world.
6. The German presence on the Internet supercedes most others.
7. Germans form the largest single heritage group in the U.S.
8. 1 in 10 books in the world is published in German
9. German-speaking countries have a rich cultural heritage.
10. Germany financially sponsors over 60,000 international exchanges each year.
11. German is required or recommended by many undergraduate and graduate programs.
10. German is not as hard as you think.
Mary   Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:57 am GMT
By the way, I don't actually find French spelling that difficult either. Once you know all the rules, you can pronounce almost every word accurately. In fact, I'd actually say that my French spelling is better than my English spelling, even though English is my first language

this can't be like this..of course french spelling is much more difficult than english one ...and i don't actually find spanish easier to pronounce i've heard american people speaking spanish horribly. In Fact. i've never heard an american people speaking spanish without making pronunciation mistakes and grammatically too. Spanish is not the easiest one to pronounce and of course besides of english spanish is adsolutely the most important out of those three languages above.
aracely   Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:27 am GMT
One point that has not been mentioned so far is, that German rather than English is spoken in the new emerging countries in Eastern Europe. So if you ever want to visit or make business with Poland, Hungary, Baltic countries, Russia, Tcheckoslovakia etc., then better learn German. All other point in the before posted statement are true as well:

German makes you smart.it 's not a simplified language like spanish and french.

1. German is the most widely spoken language in Europe.
2.Germany has the 3rd strongest economy and is the 1 export nation in the world.
3.Knowing German creates business opportunities.
4. Germans are innovators.
5. Germans are the biggest spenders of tourist dollars in the world.
6. The German presence on the Internet supercedes most others.
7. Germans form the largest single heritage group in the U.S.
8. 1 in 10 books in the world is published in German

so let get yourself stared to learn German but you to have to switch living places speacially if you live in america you have to move on to Eastern Europe (for example) where German is considered commonly spoken(as you mentionated before) to get someone who speaks german to speak and practice in German otherwise in America you'll have a hard time finding someone with those qualities maybe you can learn and get practicing through your computer i don't know but talking to pc is a weird way of learning specially a language..Spanish and french are adsolutely more important than german well french isn't as spanish...
anti_Nazism   Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:52 am GMT
aracely

Learning German doesn't make you smart. I think learning any "language" is good for the mind
SARAH   Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:39 pm GMT
THIS IS A SILLY QUESTION obviously!! spanish is the correct answer!