give you some advices or give you some advice?

james   Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:24 am GMT
which one is correct?
Robin   Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:08 pm GMT
The real question is whether it is advice or advise.

But to answer your question first, 'some advices' is comical, and definately not right.

Why is it not right. Possibly something to do with verbs and nouns. You could have more than one 'letter of advice' or 'Advisory Notes', such as are popular with the Insurance Industry.

Definitions of advice on the Web:

Advice:

ad·vice (d-vs)
noun

1. Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel.

2. Information communicated; news.

a proposal for an appropriate course of action

In constitutional law, Advice is formal, usually binding instruction given by a constitutional officer of state to another. Heads of state in particular act on the basis of Advice¹ issued by governments and prime ministers. For example, Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom formally appoints Ministers of the Crown on the advice of the British Prime Minister.

Message which notifies a party of an action that has been taken, requiring no approval.

"Advice" is a noun that means "a recommendation." "Advise" is a verb that means "to recommend." (Examples: Your advice saved me time and energy. I advise you to go to bed early tonight.)

A written confirmation of a service performed, funds transferred, or a payment received or made.

1. Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel.
2. Information communicated; news. Often used in the plural: advices from an ambassador.

(Don't believe everything you read online)

Advice - Definition from the Rules of Golf

Advise:

give advice to; "The teacher counsels troubled students"; "The lawyer counselled me when I was accused of tax fraud"
inform (somebody) of something; "I advised him that the rent was due"
propose: make a proposal, declare a plan for something

To offer advice; to counsel; to recommend a course of action.

ad·vise

verb. ad·vised, ad·vis·ing, ad·vis·es
verb transitive

1. To offer advice to; counsel.
2. To recommend; suggest: advised patience.
3. Usage Problem To inform; notify.
v.intr.
1. To take counsel; consult: She advised with her associates.
2. To offer advice.
Lazar   Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:34 pm GMT
The English noun "advice" is what's called a "non-counting noun" - it is never plural.
Lazar   Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
Oops, actually I should have said "non-countable noun". But regardless, just remember that "advice" is never plural. ;-)
myself   Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:03 pm GMT
At the same time you are giving a piece of cake you can give a piece of advice, too, if such is your will, of course.

Cheers. myself.
j   Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
<give you some advices or give you some advice?
..Lazar Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
Oops, actually I should have said "non-countable noun". But regardless, just remember that "advice" is never plural.>

You're so-o-o sure...

Webster online:
advice
2 : information or notice given -- usually used in plural