How do you pronounce "palm"

User   Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:41 pm GMT
Almond and Palm without the "l" sound very off around here, and I've never heard a native pronounce either of those without the "l". But maybe some do--they're not the most common words. "Half" is usually pronounced the same as "have" and to "halve". Other words such as "balm" all have the "l". I didn't understand what someone wanted when she asked for the "lip bomb". (she was from Utah.)
User   Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:44 pm GMT
*and by native I mean native of this area, not a native English speaker.
Lazar   Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
<<The spelling pronunciation form ["Q:U~mI~:nd] is used for "almond" here, unlike "palm" where the non-spelling pronunciation form is most prevalent here.>>

That pattern applies to me as well. I use l-less pronunciations for:

palm: ["p_hAm]
balm: ["bAm]

But I use a with-L pronunciation for:

almond ["A5m@nd]
Uriel   Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
I can say palm either with or without the L. Usually it's got a hint of the L without being a full L, if that makes sense. A little more than I would put in calm, which has no L for me. I don't think you can accurately say that I have any particular regional accent, as I've lived all over the US.

The only place I've ever heard almond said without the L is in northern California, where it struck me as a weird regional thing.
Meesh   Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:27 pm GMT
I live in Southern California, and I have never heard "palm" pronounced without the L (unless it was being said by someone with a really heavy foreign accent). So, I don't know where people are getting the idea that the L-less pronunciation is regional of the Southwest.

Meesh.
User   Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:36 pm GMT
>> A little more than I would put in calm, which has no L for me. <<

I have the "l" in calm as well. Kahm is understandable though, because it's not like "balm" that can be confused with "bomb".
Kelly [nova scotia]   Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:25 am GMT
palm, calm, Paul, fall

[pAM, kAm, pAl, fAl]
Guest   Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:17 am GMT
>> [pAM, kAm, pAl, fAl] <<

Do you actually use a close back unrounded vowel in "palm"?
Jim   Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:47 pm GMT
palm
calm
balm
almond
salmon

All without the /l/ for me.
User   Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:22 pm GMT
I don't have the "l" in "salmon". I say [sæmɘn].
Johnathan Mark   Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:28 pm GMT
I do pronounce the l. I think that my pronunciation would be closest to [pOlm]. I'm from Minnesota.
User   Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:43 pm GMT
>> I do pronounce the l. I think that my pronunciation would be closest to [pOlm]. I'm from Minnesota. <<

Yay! Finally another "l" pronouncer! We l-pronouncers are much cooler than ordinary folk! :)
Johnathan Mark   Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:50 pm GMT
"I have the "l" in calm as well. Kahm is understandable though, because it's not like "balm" that can be confused with "bomb". "

I pronounce balm [bOlm], but bomb [bam]. It seems that the l helps prevent the O-->a.
User   Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:51 pm GMT
>> I pronounce balm [bOlm], but bomb [bam]. It seems that the l helps prevent the O-->a <<

So is that the Northern cities vowel shift?
Guest   Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:02 pm GMT
"I live in Southern California, and I have never heard "palm" pronounced without the L (unless it was being said by someone with a really heavy foreign accent). So, I don't know where people are getting the idea that the L-less pronunciation is regional of the Southwest."

I live in Southern California, and I've never heard it pronounced with an "L".