True Origin of PROUD and PRIDE

Ble   Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:19 am GMT
What is the origin of the English word Proud?

Most etymologies state an assumed origin from Old French prod, meaning "valiant"/"brave" from Latin prode, "advantageous" < prodesse, but the Old French word never carried the specific meaning of "proud".

I also see a cognate in Old Norse pruthr (mod Icelandic pruður).

What strikes me as odd is the mutation in the Old English word for pride: pryde. This leads me to believe the word itself is much older than Old French (1000-1300 AD), having participated in the i/j-mutation event in Old English occurring between 450 and 500 AD. And if it's older, how can it possibly be of that derivation?
Kimura-sensei   Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:12 am GMT
"I also see a cognate in Old Norse pruthr (mod Icelandic pruður)."

It IS a cognate, but it is probably from the same O.Fr. source. As Brennus implies -I think-, O.Fr. is a bit older than you think. It was actually spoken 900-1400 C.E.

Your assertion is very reasonable, but I don't think "pryde" participated necessarily in that mutation (by the way, where did you find that spelling? I only have found Late O.E. "prud, prute" and I think that "pryde" could be M.E.).

Check "www.etymonline.com". They don't just "assume" the Latin]O.Fr.]O.E. connection.
Guest   Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:58 pm GMT
A.S. Prūd
A.S. Prýde < Prūd

Miriam-Webster
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English prūd, probably from Old French prod, prud, prou advantageous, just, wise, bold, from Late Latin prode advantage, advantageous, back-formation from Latin prodesse to be advantageous, from pro-, prod- for, in favor + esse to be