Anyone from Ontario?

User   Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:48 am GMT
How do you guys normally pronounce "get"? [gEt] or [gIt] ? This speaker on the IDEA website seems to pronounce it like "git" if I'm hearing it properly.

http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/canada/ontario/ontario.htm
Ontario 1
The word comes just after 2:33 into the recording.
Kelly {Nova Scotia}   Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:53 am GMT
It's

get [gEt]
again [agEn or agein]
six [sIks or sEks]

(cbc. news at sEks) ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Shift
User   Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:11 am GMT
So, do you mean that the underlying form is /gIt/ and the Canadian shift shifts it to [sEks], or is the underlying form /gEt/? I didn't think that most speakers are that advanced in the shift to even reach the shifting of /I/ to [E]. The girl in the recording didn't seem to even have the first stages of the shift.
Pete   Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:52 pm GMT
I don't understand this, all I know is that in New Zealand when they say "six" it sounds somewhere between "sucks" and "sex".

Can one of our experts help us here, plz?

Pete

P.S.- No sarcasm intended, eh! thanks in advance.
User   Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:22 pm GMT
>> I don't understand this, all I know is that in New Zealand when they say "six" it sounds somewhere between "sucks" and "sex".

Can one of our experts help us here, plz?

Pete

P.S.- No sarcasm intended, eh! thanks in advance. <<

A vowel shift has occurred in New Zealand English. Front vowels, with one exception, are pronounced higher in the mouth than in England English. RP /i/, the unrounded high front lax vowel, has moved to /ə/ (schwa). Some non-NZ speakers mistakenly assert that, when New Zealanders say "fish and chips" they say "fush and chups".
From Wikipedia.

In the Canadian shift on the other hand, /I/ is pronounced as /E/ by *very* progressive speakers. But what I was wondering is whether the underlying form of the word "get" was "get" or "git". It's true that if the underlying form were "git", than the shift would actually shift it to "get". But the girl in the recording did not seem to have the shift at all (not even /A/ -> [O]), so I was just wondering whether "get" or "git" is the predominant form for the word "get" in Ontario, the vowel shift aside, because the girl in the recording said "git". So, which one is more popular in Ontario?