Learning 2 language at one time.

VIKASH   Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:07 pm GMT
I speak hindi since it is my native language.I am fluent in english and french.I am learning spanish and italian.But most of the time i get confused.What should be the best idea to learn tow similar language together.Thanks in advance....
Pauline   Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:59 pm GMT
Vikash,

Simultaneously learning spanish and italian will be *very* difficult in my opinion.

I've some similar expereince with this situation because I've learned languages very similar with each other, and for me it's difficult avoid to use a word, construction of one language in the other one !!

For exemple spanish / italian would have this type of things, so nearly the same but not exactly what I try to maintain spearated bewteen dutch and german, soemtimes english also (but lesser that dutch /german).

It would be more easy for you learning italian one year, then after you know this language you can start learning spanish. Learning from the beginning both together probably will cause muddle them up and confusion. Learning two languages not related (so similar ones) simultaneous such as german and italian would be different : this wouldn't cause problems I think.
Guest   Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:00 pm GMT
I would say "quit the italian" but Sonia Gandhi wouldn't agree :-)
JR   Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:07 am GMT
Well for a native speaker of Hindi I can understand how it would be difficult to learn Italian and Spanish at the same time, two languages that are comparitavely very *very* similar to each other.

But yes, I agree with Pauline, pick your favorite of the two and take some time to learn it by itself. Once you have a strong base on that language you can start the other one without getting confused on the elements.

Are you learning them by yourself or are you being instructed (as in, learning with a class)?