How do Americans pronounce "perhaps"

myself   Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:19 pm GMT
Do Americans pronounce "perhaps" : pe'haps or praps ? Or both ways ? What about British persons ?

Thank you for your kind help.

Myself.
Guest   Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:23 pm GMT
I pronounce it as "per haps", like it is spelled.
Uriel   Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:25 pm GMT
Exactly as spelled. Two syllables, all letters pronounced, emphasis on the second syllable.
Guest   Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:46 pm GMT
I am an American and I pronounce it as spelled: per-haps.

When pronounced by the British, it sounds like "paps" or "p'haps" to me.
Lazar   Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:12 am GMT
<<Do Americans pronounce "perhaps" : pe'haps or praps ? Or both ways ?>>

Neither. Like Uriel and Guest, I pronounce it just like it's spelled - in IPA, [p@`"h{ps].

<<What about British persons ?>>

In Britain, there are two common pronunciations:

"pehaps" [p@"h{ps]
"praps" ["pr{ps]
The observer   Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:22 am GMT
I do not pronounce it as its spelt. I pronunce it "praps", as a side note; my girlfriend on the other hand, pronounce it "pehaps" :)
jackson   Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:40 am GMT
per-haps
Presley.   Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:33 am GMT
I pronounce it "[p@`"h{ps]". (I'm from southern California).
Jim   Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:57 am GMT
Like Lazar, Uriel and Guest, I pronounce it just as it's spelt: /p@"h{ps/.
buddhaheart   Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:21 pm GMT
I, as a Westcoast Canadian pronounce "perhaps" like most Americans.

This is a 2-syllable word with the word emphasis on the 2nd. The 'r' is combined with the 'e' to become a rhotic schwa (/@r/) since the 1st syllable is not stressed. The 'h' is pronounced as glottal fricative and not as a glottal stop or silent. The 'a' is uttered as its short sound /{/ as in "ash". And hence in broad transcription without the ability to do it in IPA format, my pronunciation of the word "perhaps" would be transcribed as /p@r'h{ps/.

I do believe the various ways this word is being uttered around the world as mentioned by most of you is quite common.
Johnathan Mark   Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:51 pm GMT
[p3'h{ps] would be the most accurate for my pronunciation. I think this would be closer to standard american than using a schwa. I personally go directly from the p to a kind of sustained r sound (I think 3' is the best way to represent that.)

This 3' is quite common in my dialect

fir or fur= f3'
water = wa43'
fire = faj3'

etc.
Johnathan Mark   Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:01 am GMT
After looking at the x-sampa site I'm not so sure anymore about my transcriptions. I think I should have used [`] instead of ['], and I am not sure about my vowels Anyways, I feel like I go directly from the initial p to an r sound, without even saying a vowel.