Voice and Accent

Babu   Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:19 pm GMT
What is meant by teaching voice and accent to a call center rep?
jeni   Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:22 pm GMT
To make them sound like their target customers.
Babu   Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:24 pm GMT
If you are a native speaker what would you expect from an agent as far as the English is concerned?
jeni   Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:27 pm GMT
The problem comes when the sounds a foreigner makes are closer to their native tongue then native English, if you aren't used to hearing it pronounced with a whoever's thick accent you won't catch the words so readily, then add in the hassle of having to call into a call center in the first place. You can lose your patience.

Clarity, is what people would be looking for I suppose....
Babu   Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:16 pm GMT
Thanks a lot Jemi!!!

Are you a native speaker of English Jemi?
Babu   Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:17 pm GMT
I am sorry for the inconvenience JENI!

Are you a native speaker of English Jeni?
jeni   Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:20 pm GMT
Yes.
Babu   Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:32 pm GMT
But I am a non-native speaker and I am sorking in a call canter.

So you are saying that only the pronunciation & accent matters a lot when we speak with the native speakers. Is there anything else that we could improve on Jeni?
jeni   Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:55 pm GMT
Obviously a decent understanding of the mechanics help, but if you mess the word order up, or use a strange word, as long as it can be heard most people should be able to correct it and at least understand what you are trying to get at.

The problem for you is people are calling because there is a problem, which makes most people agitated. Sometimes they have to wait on hold for an amount of time, and that makes them further agitated, then when someone finally gets on the phone the person basically wants to get the matter handled as quickly and efficiently as possible. So when someone hears you have a thick accent they probably get more agitated then they were because it's portent to a longer wait. Not to mention you have to deal with people that are assholes no matter who would be on the other end. It's kind of stacked against you.

Speak clearly, try to emulate your target customer base, and know your product. Quick and efficient, I guess.
Babu   Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
You are absolutele correct Jemi.

I am concerned only about the language because I am very much interested in teaching Voice and Accent to the call center representatives.
As I am an English graduate I'm equipping myself to become a trainer and also I am searching for new ideas & techniques to form my own style which will make the reps to speak an inteligible language. I am looking for the perfect method from the native speakers of English for the perfect communication. So suggest me what are the skills I should possess?
Babu   Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:39 pm GMT
I request all the native speakers:-

If you are an English trainer what would you teach to the non native speakers?
Uriel   Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:54 pm GMT
Ordinary speech patterns. I guess for us Americans, we prefer that people get to the point fast, so we tend to streamline our speech to make it more efficient. Comes from being task and results oriented, I suppose. But we prefer that people speak plainly, cut the crap, cut to the chase, quit beating around the bush, etc.

I don't mean speaking quickly, just not wasting time. I think if people on the phone sense that you are just as interested in getting it done quickly as they are, they will respond to you more favorably. I know when I've called and gotten an Indian call center, what aggravated me the most was not the person or their accent, but the fact that they were required to go through a whole script with me. It wasn't so bad the first time, but the second or third time I had to go through the whole list, it grated on my nerves pretty bad. Unfortunately, having worked at a call center myself, I know that employees don't have any control over what they are forced to say or what scripts they are required to follow. It's not their fault. But there are ways to establish a rapport with your customer, if you notice that they are getting frustrated with the rigamarole -- just say something like, I'm required to ask you a few standard questions, but let's just go down the list real quick -- you've already tried A, B, and C and jiggled the switch, right? Okay, good, so now let's try this...."

(I guess while I'm ranting I'll just mention that this was AOL that did this to me. After two calls and having to go through interminable hold times and wasting my time and patience with scripts, I cancelled it altogether and switched to a local in-town provider. Now, when I call them for tech support there's no hold time, no scripts -- I describe the problem and they get to work on it. Usually I'M the one they have to wait on. For me, it's WELL worth the few extra bucks they charge!)
man size   Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:27 pm GMT
I hate Indian call centers :( The last time I called some guy tried to tell me that his name was Sam!!! I hung up and located an American call center that was in Iowa, and received the help that I needed.
Guest   Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:49 am GMT
What's even worse than the call center guy having a thick accent is when they can't understand you, in my opinion...
Babu   Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
Thanks a lot for all the info.

Is there any other suggestions and ideas regarding this topic from anybody?