What's the difference?

tim   Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:07 pm GMT
What's the difference between 'talk to' and 'talk with'?
Brad   Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:25 pm GMT
No difference
jerno   Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:03 pm GMT
Well I suppose it is a subtle one. A person can be "talked to" and never say a word, but if you're "talked with" it implies a back and forth.
Brad   Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
Well I suppose it is a subtle one. A person can be "talked to" and never say a word, but if you're "talked with" it implies a back and forth.

I was thinking the same thing but, overall, there is no difference.

Talk to implies that you initiated the conversation or you are in a position of authority. Regardless, there is no discernible difference between "talk to" "talk with."
jerno   Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
The difference is subtle, but there is a difference.
Brad   Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:37 pm GMT
"The difference is subtle, but there is a difference."

I disagree.

1. I talked to my boss the other day...

2. I talked with my boss the other day

a. Can you talk to him for me??

b. Can you talk with him for me??

I. Are you still talking to (as in courting) so and so

II. Are you still talking with (as in courting) so and so
tim   Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:19 am GMT
Thanks
jerno   Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:35 pm GMT
"I disagree."

Well, I disagree with your disagreement, though I suppose the difference may not be too relevent to a non native. "Talk to" in certain contexts implies confrontation.

An example: Karen's boyfriend has been beating her up. Her brother comforts her and says he is going to "talk with" him, it implies that he intends the conversation to be two sided. However, if he were to say I'm going to "talk to" him, he may or may not care if the boyfriend utters a word.

Though generally they are interchangable.

Whether or not the difference matters to someone just learning English, I suppose, is up for debate....