preposition problem

Guest   Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:12 pm GMT
If you want to say that you work as a teacher in a school, would you say "I'm working at Thamesview school", or "I'm working in Thamesview school."
Thanx
kappy   Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:38 am GMT
AT Thamesview school. if your working in it, it virtually means the same thing but at sounds sooooo much better
Lazar   Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:14 am GMT
I agree with Kappy. I think the preferred expression would tend to be "to work at [a school]" rather than "to work in [a school]".
Not a genius   Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:26 am GMT
"If you want to say that you work as a teacher in a school, would you say "I'm working at Thamesview school", or "I'm working in Thamesview school.""

I disagree with kappy and Lazar. No one will flinch if you say "I'm working in Thames school" versus "I'm working at Thameschool."

In fact you can use both prepositions in one sentence: "I'm working at Thameschool, in their social studies department"

The last sentence may or may not be acceptable to a Ph.d English major at Harvard, but in speech it is entirely correct; although you can make the preceding sentence grammatically correct by adding a semi colon. I prefer using both prepositions because someone is bound to ask you what department you belong to, and thus you preempt the question by using both prepositions. It is no big deal.

In conclusion, when using both prepositions start with at; when using one, you can use in or at - it really doesn't matter.

I hope this helps.
Guest   Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:46 am GMT
I agree with Kappy and Lazar,
Not a genius   Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:12 am GMT
"I agree with Kappy and Lazar"

You're a bitch
Guest   Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:44 am GMT
I am proud to be a bitch.
Travis   Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:41 am GMT
"I'm working over by Thamesview school" - Sorry, just *had* to suggest a form commonly used for this kind of case in my dialect, even if it may get you looks if you use it outside the Upper Midwest, or even just outside the Milwaukee area for that matter. ;)
Robin   Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:19 am GMT
I am working at Thamesview School. When was the last time you saw the Thames in Milwaukee.

I am reading English at University.
kappy   Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
Not a genius... shut up...I'm the one thats been speaking english since birth. i live in america, i think like an american, i know what americans think of others. if u say that you work in some place they will think that you work as a janitor (usually mexicans that can't speak english) picking up after kids who are fed with a silver spoon constantly.....
(this was not meant to sound angry its just that i know what i'm talking about.
Guest   Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:00 am GMT
>>Je travaille SUR ( CHEZ?) l'école Thamesview. French - sur = on<<

That's really badly worded.

Try:
Je travaille à l'école ...

Je travaille SUR quelques projets = I'm working on several projects.

But

Je travaille CHEZ Lewinksi = I work at Lewinski's.