alone/by oneself... what is the difference?

Guest   Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:39 pm GMT
Hello! I've been studying English for years, but I still don't understand the difference between "alone", "by myself", "on my own".
"She's alone", "she's by herself", "she's on her own"..... Is that the same thing or is there a difference??
Thank you for your help...
kappy   Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:37 am GMT
there is no difference. just use the one that sounds best.
EX:
I am at home alone.
I am at home by myself.
I am at home on my own.

now usually when referring to " on my own" that means your off in the real world with no parents having to provide for yourself. it also means that you have graduated from college.
Robin   Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:26 am GMT
One of the big advantages and disadvantages of English, is that you can express the same thing in many different ways. So, if you think of something, and then think you cannot spell the word, you can just rephrase it.

People speaking English as a Foreign Language will often express themselves imprecisely using their own favourite stock expressions. If these people are your friends, you will know what they are trying to say, and make allowances.

However to write well, and to speak with precision in English, then small differences of meaning are more important. That is why in legal documents, the terms used are precisely defined.

With something like 'Home Alone': What is being conveyed? 'I am lonely and I want someone to join me', or 'the children have been left unattended', or 'I am happy with my own company'.