''trousers'' and ''pants''

Damian in Windy Eddy   Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:52 pm GMT
Prayers answered today URIEL.....a fresh south westerly reaching all parts.....

http://uk.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/UKXX0052
Rick Johnson on the inter   Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:08 pm GMT
For me trousers are smart formal wear, pants can be casual trousers or underpants which can also be referred to as undies or kex.
Damian in Rainy Eddy   Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:16 pm GMT
Although I only wear a kilt on special occasions...last time was my cousin's wedding down in England....another mixed marriage!.....I love wearing it.

Anyway/anyways I cannae stand tartan trews....ie tartan trousers! I wouldnae be seen deid wearing those! :-(
Uriel   Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:35 am GMT
And so what becomes of the children of this awful miscegenation, Damian? English or Scot or just sent away in shame to the salt mines?
Rick Johnson   Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:41 am GMT
"And so what becomes of the children of this awful miscegenation, Damian? English or Scot or just sent away in shame to the salt mines?"

Pasty white kids in tartan trousers and union sweaters!!
Damian 101% Scot   Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:29 pm GMT
**And so what becomes of the children of this awful miscegenation, Damian? English or Scot or just sent away in shame to the salt mines?**

There are no salt mines in Scotland, URIEL......here they get sent up chimneys Miscegenation?.....cool word.....not one I use every day for one good reason...never heard of it before...thanks! Miscere + genus....genetics mixed....aye, it figures.

The interbreeding of the races.....English + Scottish = RICK'S desription plus lifelong psychoses on the Rugby pitches.
Adam   Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:28 pm GMT
Trousers are trousers.

Underpants is underwear.

Pants is something that is rubbish or not very good.

"God, that is pants."
Brennus   Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:27 pm GMT
Trousers vs pants - The two words are virtually synonymous with one having a Germanic origin anf the other a Romance origin (Italian pantalloni "pants; pantaloons"). However, to me, "trousers" sounds a little more archaic or fuddy-duddy-ish as in "Don't throw them out. Those are still a good pair of trousers!"

Many languages don't distinguish lexically between the two words. Irish Gaelic does a little bit due to the influence of English. So you have 'briste' (breesh-tuh) which means pants and trabhsair (trow-sahr) which means 'trousers' and you can say péire trabhsair (pair of trousers) but also Fear na mbristi bana "The man in the white trousers (or pants). Same thing. But, I imagine that a language like Spanish just uses 'pantalones' for both words.
Guest   Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:19 am GMT
Adam = pants.
Which yields the expression "God, that is Adam".
Guest   Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:22 am GMT
« Adam = pants.
Which yields the expression "God, that is Adam". »

ROTFLMAO!
The Aimless Wanderer   Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:54 pm GMT
As for me, I now live in Canada, and am wearing my kilt at work right now. The guys look at me strange, women think it's hot, and my kids ask me not to pick them up at school on days I wear my kilt... Oh, and yes, for me it is trousers. I just can't get used to some of these silly American words, they can't even pronounce tomatoes correctly =-}
Uncle Buck   Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:45 pm GMT
And all that time I thought those Scots were speaking another language! The Aimless Wander confirms that it is indeed English, at least in writing.