thonself

Guest   Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:49 am GMT
What's "thonself" mean? I've seen it written in another forum.
Uriel   Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:05 am GMT
Not a word I've ever heard of. I think someone made it up.
Sox   Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:39 am GMT
Probably the same as thyself. Sort of an archaic version.
Guest   Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:42 am GMT
It's from the Middle English Þon+self, in the Kentish dialect. "Thon" was the archaic version of "thou" and "thee". It's totally obsolete now.
Char   Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:44 am GMT
They were probably just being cute, using an old-fashioned word.
Lazar   Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:48 pm GMT
"Thon" (with the derivative form "thonself") is one of the proposed gender-neutral pronouns (it's listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun ). I really suspect that this explanation is more likely than Kentish archaism, as Sox and Guest propose.

By the way, I have a very intense dislike for constructed gender-neutral pronouns, because I find them annoying, pretentious, and most of all, completely unnecessary. I am a supporter of singular "they", which is the true gender-neutral pronoun that's already existed in English for centuries.
Jim   Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:34 pm GMT
Felt like writing something till I read pretty much what I was about to write written by Lazar.
Jim   Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:53 pm GMT
Wikipedia is a bitch.
Wikipedia   Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:22 am GMT
Thon're a bitch thonself, Jim.
Bitch   Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 am GMT
Jim is a Wikipedian and Wikipedia is a product of a Jim.
The bitch formerly known   Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:35 am GMT
It seems Tiffany too has joined in with "me" in calling things a bitch.

Tiffany Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:06 pm GMT
The "th" sound in "think" is a bitch.
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t5949.htm

Funny that.
Jim   Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 am GMT
<<Thon're a bitch thonself, Jim.>>

Well, I know you can't mean me, as you said "thon're a bitch thonself" (third person) rather than "you're a bitch yourself" (second person). I wonder who you're calling a bitch?
Wikipedia   Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 am GMT
No, I didn't mean you. I meant the real Jim who would never put a question mark at the end of anything but a question (pedantic bitch that he is about that kind of stuff). But, okay, fake Jim, if you want to be one of my bitches too and help writing this bloody encyclopædia, come and create an account but you'll have to refrain from impersonating other users: we frown on that over here.
Wikipedia   Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:48 pm GMT
By the way, fake Jim, I was writing in Middle English Kentish dialect. I frown also on the liberal use of neologisms.
Guest   Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
<<By the way, fake Jim, I was writing in Middle English Kentish dialect. I frown also on the liberal use of neologisms.>>

Well, it seems obvious. You don't have that Wikipedia:Avoid Neologisms page just for show. What do you think when people edit you and add neologisms.