About the pronunciatoins of the alphabets /n/ and /l/

Serena   Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:04 am GMT
This has been a question puzzling me for years: I'm not too sure about the EXACT positions of the tip of tongue when pronouncing these two.
I know they are differenct and people won't be confused when they hear me say them. But I just want to be accurate, so if any native English speakers could help me with it that would be really great.

To pronounce either of them, you have to put the tip of your tongue against ridge, which is behind the upper teeth. My question is, is it the same position (ridge) for both /n/ and /l/, or the touched places of the ridge are slightly different? To be specific, would you curve you tongue harder and touch the place furthur inward the mouth (away from the front teeth) when you pronounce /n/ than when you pronounce /l/?

Thank you very much for any answer.
Guest   Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
/n/ and /l/ are letters, not alphabets. I assume "letters" is what you meant.
Guest   Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:12 pm GMT
<</n/ and /l/ are letters, not alphabets. I assume "letters" is what you meant.>>

In fact, what they are is sounds.
Lazar   Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:22 pm GMT
In answer to the question, I'd have to say that the tip of my tongue touches the exact same spot on the alveolar ridge when I make [n] and [l]. The only difference is that when I make [l], I let air escape to either side of my tongue.
Jim   Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:49 pm GMT
In fact, what they are are sounds but "n" & "l" are letters not alphabets. Nor can I feel any significant difference in the position that the tip of my tongue touches when I pronounce these. Of course the flip-side of this difference Lazar refers to is that in pronouncing /n/ one lets air escape through the nose. However, to allow for this the tongue will be in a different shape. When pronouncing /n/ the tongue blocks the whole mouth (I feel that it goes right across the ridge) whereas when pronouncing /l/ the tongue leaves room either side to allow the air to flow (the tongue thus touches only in the middle).
Uriel   Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:49 am GMT
With an N, the tip of my tongue touches just behind my upper front teeth, but with L, it touches the edge of my front teeth.
Claire   Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
okay, so i've just sat here for about five minutes comparing the two sounds! now my family officially think im a little strange, as far as i can tell, the positions of the tongue are relatively similar, except I would have to agree that the 'L' sound the tongue touches the edge of the teeth, and the 'N' it lays slightly flatter and behind the teeth.

x
trueman   Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:34 pm GMT
what makes me to come here is just to learn how to teach english alphabet as foreign language.would you help me I appreciate it