Russian or Spanish in Turkey?

Seljuk   Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:01 am GMT
Which one would you recommend Turkish people to learn?
Bon Jovi   Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:36 am GMT
Greek
From Spain   Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:45 am GMT
My dear Brennus,

People in Turkey cannot be considered a regional market. If you do consider them a regional market English would be as useless as Spanish.
Russian has also become a regional language in the past 15 years and it isn't even taught any longer behind the former "Iron Curtain". Estambul is full of Russian ex-pats, that's true, but it only tells you how decadent Russia actually is, far behind its former USSR days.

The most important trade in Turkey is Tourism and Spain is the second most important tourist country in the world according the World Tourism Organisation (headquarters in Madrid, by the way). Lots of Spaniards go to Turkey and there is a great Mediterranean brotherhood difficult to understand for those of you outside the Mediterranean world.

Nevertheless, I would have agreed if you had said German, for instance, since the Turkish colony is very big indeed in Germany and Germans are the most important foreign visitors in Turkey.

In the case of the Turks I imagine English is a must like anywhere else in the world. As for a compulsory second language why not Arabic? After all, aren't they mostly Muslim and have to learn to read the Coran? They are also close to the Arabic world and they could be a perfect "bridge" between the Arab world and Europe.

There you go.

It's difficult to update in world affairs.
Seljuk   Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:57 pm GMT
Thank you all.But as a Turkish, I'd like to share my opinions too.First of all, no nation among Kurds, Arabs, Persians, Armenians like Turkish.Each of them hates us.And so do we!Yes there may be a great cultural and commercial trade between Arabs and Turks but I hate Arabs and Arabic so much that Arabic is the last language for me to learn on earth.I even learn Australian regional languages known by not more than 200 people, but learning Arabic can never be discussed for me.By the way, yeah, german is very important in Turkey but there are many people who speak it here but wandering around free.They don't earn.Russian is taught at universities in Turkey but many Turks give up in their 2nd or 3rd year due to its difficulty.European languages are very different from Turkish, but Russian is twice more difficult.We learn Finnish and Hungarian which are thought the most difficult ones better than the languages Europeans think the easiest such as Italian.Over 1 million Russian tourists come to visit Turkey every year.So in western and southern Turkey are tabelas written in Russian and German.
smith   Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:56 pm GMT
well, Russian is the first language of 1 country, but Spanish is the first language of 25 countries!!! And the second language of other 20!!! .

First language: Argentina, Spain, Chile, Uruguay, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Costa Rica, Rep. Dominicana, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Nuevo Mexico, Canary Islands, Andorra, PAraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela.

Second-third language: USA (40-45 million people), Gibraltar, Portugal, France, Philippines, Western Sahara, Morocco, Canada, Romania, Trinidad&Tobago, Virgin Islands, Haiti, etc
Seljuk   Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:35 pm GMT
You may be right but Spanish doesn't earn people in Turkey very much, but Russian does.Because there are not many Spanish people or influence in Turkey, but Russian tourists and residents are a lot and influence is much really.And because of the difficulty of the Russian language, Turkish people give learning it up quickly.That's to say, Russian is much more effective in Turkey even though we accept Spanish is very effective in the other countries all over the world.
Sam   Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:48 pm GMT
Yes. Perhaps there are a lot of tourists from Russia in your country.

But you need to think in tourists from Spain, South America, Mexico, and latinos from USA (45 million people). And you need to add that if you speak Spanish, you can study a basic Italian and a basic Portuguese in two weeks. And that is very important: people that speak Spanish, Italian and Portuguese are, all together, 725 million people.
Vlad   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:25 am GMT
Smith,

<<well, Russian is the first language of 1 country, but Spanish is the first language of 25 countries!!! And the second language of other 20!!! . >>

You forgot to mention Belarus where 80% of the people are native Russian speaker, Ukraine where 30%, and Kazakhstan 10 million are native Russian speakers. The rest are completely bilingual. Except for Belarus, Russian is an official language but it is used more often to conduct business and in the government since it is more higly developed.

Actually, in Gibraltar Russian is becoming more and more common. English is the official language there not Spanish but there are sitll a number speakers of it. Italian and Portuguese also is gaining ground.

Russian is the number 1 foreign language in most Ex-Soviet republics minus the Baltic states, Bulgaria, Serbia and Montenegro, Macedonia, and Mongolia and now making a comeback in China in fact many Chinese are fluent in it. Many Finns too are also fluent in it.

So Russian can be considered an international language than Spanish becuase only Spain and Hispanic America uses Spanish in international arena all are native speakers of it.

<<Second-third language: USA (40-45 million people), Gibraltar, Portugal, France, Philippines, Western Sahara, Morocco, Canada, Romania, Trinidad&Tobago, Virgin Islands, Haiti, etc >>

The second foreign language in Portugal, Morocco, Trinidad&Tobago is French. French has also replaced Spanish in Western Sahara and displacing Spanish in Ceuta, Morocco.

Canada? My goodness the official languages there are English and French since speakers of those two make up the largest percentage of the population and they were the founders of that nation not by the Spanish people. You mean to say that Spanish is in the place of French there.

In Romania, French is number 1 there then comes English then Russian.

Where did you get this false information because I also this misleading information in other threads.

Some of you even posted that in Antarctica Spanish is also spoken.
Vlad   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:32 am GMT
In the Philippines too, Spanish is almost dead there. Younger generation of Spanish descents speak English as first language not Spanish.

Chinese is more widely spoken there because of large number of Chinese there.

Japanese and French are more prefered foreign language there than Spanish nowadays.

In Andorra, you may be correct because of large number of Spaniards are residing there but Andorra uses French in international circle.
Sam   Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:40 pm GMT
Well,

Spanish is the first language of 25 countries. It is true.

I said, Russian is the first language of 1 country, and perhaps a second (Belarus). Ok, Vlad, 2 countries!

25 countries and 400 millions of speakers as first language- Spanish

2 countries and 170 millions of speakers as first language- Russian.

So, the numbers are very important, and I think it is clear.
Seljuk   Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:20 pm GMT
But how can you compare the development of these countries? As you know, development pace is also important for choosing a language to learn, right? So I even daren't compare Russia with Guatemala, Arjentina, Chile, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Paraguay or Uruguay or any other country in South America.I may only compare Russia with Spain, but not other Spanish speaking country.But you should also accept that as all other EU countries are, Spain is also in need of natural gas, right?So Russia multiplies development, I think.Whether you dont approve of any of these, Russian is very important for all in Turkey, especially in southern and western Turkey as there are so many Russian inhabitants and tourists.But there are not that many of Spaniards in Turkey, agree?
Vlad   Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:32 am GMT
Sam

It's 4. Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan. More or less 200 million.

2nd language in former Soviet Republics, Mongolia, Bulgaria, Serbia and Montenegro, and Macedonia. Around 150 million.

Let me ask you, name a country where Spanish is not native language and then at the same time it is the 2nd language to qualify as lingua franca.

In the US, French is included in secondary level while Spanish is not. Spanish is number 1 only in foreign language school in that country.

And I don't think that the French have Spanish as their first foreign language. It's English becuse it is required in the secondary level like French in UK.

There is one requirement or criteria that Spanish lack to be an international language and that is in medicine, scientific and technological arena.