euphemisms for ''to get drunk''

Uriel   Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:56 am GMT
Sure -- you just have to "be on" one.
Guest   Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:26 am GMT
In American universities the students usually say "trashed" "wasted" and "shit faced" (in order of intensity from least to most) -- and they should know.
Franco   Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:39 am GMT
Why you all saying those when they are not euphemisms? Euphemisms must sound pleasant.
van oranje-Nassau   Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:40 am GMT
Well said, Frankie boy!
Franco   Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:47 am GMT
Basically there are two possible. "to be intoxicated" and "to be under the influence of alcohol".
Guest   Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:00 am GMT
Inebriated.
Uriel   Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:30 pm GMT
Feeling no pain. Tipsy.
Siberia   Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
I do think the most politically correct would be to say --- to get chemically unbalanced. :)

There are lots of people who get chemically unbalanced each and every day here in Russia.
O'Bruadair   Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
Wow another enlightening thread!

Anybody ever heard of “three sheets in the wind”” What about “drunker than bicycle”? “Drunk as a skunk”? “Drunk as drunk can be”? “Drunker than Cooter Brown”? (Don’t know who Cooter Brown was but as many times as I’ve heard this one he must have been a real sot)

My personal all-time favourite must be “just as drunk as whiskey can make you” (been there, done that, more than once)
Pub Lunch   Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:22 am GMT
Euphemisms for where I live: Pissed, plastered, battered, bladdered, wankered, mashed, smashed, mullered, munted, sozzled, rat-arsed, ruined, hammered, wrecked, trolleyed, legless, tanked, blotto, sloshed, chevy chased, out of my face, off my head, out of my nut, off my nut, drunk as a skunk, I am wearing my beer googles (normally said when ... actually I'll leave that be). There are probably many more but I can't be bothered anymore.
Franco   Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:26 am GMT
You are all really retarded. Do you not know what the definition of a euphemism is? Well, let me become your saviour.

euphemism, noun
- an inoffensive expression that is substituted for one that is considered offensive

Do you think "wankered" and "rat-arsed" are inoffensive, or less offensive than "drunk"?

You people are just attempting to show off with how many different ways you know to say it, but you are only showing of your lack of brain cells.
Van Nostrim   Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:46 am GMT
I don't find "wankered" and "rat-arsed" offensive, you wanker.
riadach   Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:54 pm GMT
well

drunk
pissed
langered
wrecked
inebriated
intoxicated
imbibed
wasted
off his/her head
helicopters (as in he's helicopters)

i'm sure i'll come up with more, and be 10/10 at the weekend :-)
Liz   Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
Sorry for being pernickety but it seems most of you don´t get the meaning of "euphemism". You use a euphemism when you don´t want to be blunt. By using such an expression, you belittle the originally severe thing, you make light of it, or rather you put the actual thing more mildly. So, I don´t think that words like "wasted, wankered, pissed, rat-arsed" etc. are euphemisms by any stretch of the imagination!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, sorry...I´ve just realised that Franco had wrote down the whole thing before I did...
I can only echo his words, however, he should have put it more euphemistically... :-)
David B   Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:37 pm GMT
Liz, Franco

The original poster didn't ask for euphemisms, just for alternative ways of saying 'to get drunk'.