The most annoying words

Guest   Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
Hello?

Are there any English words that you can't stand? Why, because they are overused, snobby, or...?
User   Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
attitude
have got
garage
diarrhoea
principality
volcano
stoic
global warming
postal worker
fireperson
snowperson
chairperson
snap
he or she
he/she
him or her
Guest   Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:12 am GMT
I
a
an
am
are
the
you
them
they
he
she
it
and
or
but
Dude Who Knows   Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:03 am GMT
spiffy
abc   Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:24 am GMT
dude
Guest   Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:37 am GMT
I agree with "abc" on "dude".
I also dislike "ironical", "dramatical", and other such "-ical" words that mean the same thing as their "-ic" counterpart.
Ant_222   Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:10 am GMT
Don't "historic" and "historical" mean different things?
Liz   Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:19 am GMT
<<Don't "historic" and "historical" mean different things?>>

Yes, they DO mean different things.

But I agree with Guest on "ironical".
Ant_222   Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:01 pm GMT
I suffer from another type of annoyance: orthography. There are some words that make me look them up in a dictionary every time I need to write them.

"Analyse" and "algorithm" for example.
Goody-Goody   Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:25 pm GMT
http://mgpu.awardspace.com/gala/
Please, assess the correctness of following phrases using the scale by A.Timberlake.
Rely on your own language perception. There is no need to think much on every example. All comments are appreciated. -=Please, try to assess each sentence separately, don't figure out any patterns=-Thank you!!!
24NR   Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 pm GMT
Here's a few that annoy me in this forum:

Adam
a
concept
of
time
Kernewek
Ant_222   Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
I really appreciate that!
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:20 pm GMT
I can't really use the word "annoy" when used in connection with words themselves. What annoys me is the people who use them either inappropriately or maliciously or whatever. There are plenty of words I don't really like without being sure exactly why - maybe just because of the sound of them or the way they look when written down. The poor wee things may simply look or sound ugly. For some strange reason words ending in the "-tch" combination fall into this category for me:

hatch * batch * match * titch * glitch * witch * stitch * etc etc.

Of course words can fall into the "Hate Collection" because of their meaning - the more objectionable the meaning the higher up they are in the Hate Scale. Leaving out taboo words or expletives - I can list words like strangle, convulsion, excretion, sick, morbid, horror, tirade, neurotic, pox, regurgitate, flaccid, picket, diabolical, ugly, bug......etc etc

The most horrid formation of letters in the English Language are the dreich "-ough" combination - and all the words spelt that way, no matter what pronunciation they take....and there are enough of them which must make it tough for learners of English when sorting them all out.
Meesh   Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:20 am GMT
When people say that they "conversate" with one another. The word is CONVERSE!
Boy   Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:22 am GMT
I know I may sound stupid but I hate the word "Thanks or Thank you" in real life. I get to hear the word even when I do such trivial tasks like picking up a cup from kitchen or passing on a newspaper to someone else. It does not take too much effort or energy on my part to do such unimportant tasks so why say Thanks for every little thing. Listening to this word from people after every 10 seconds makes me feel crabby.