What's the difference between "from" and "sin

Sara   Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:12 pm GMT
I use since in sentences like this: I haven't seen him since January. Can I use from in the sentence--I haven't seen him from January.
Jim   Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:36 pm GMT
Sure you can use it but I wouldn't recommend it seeing as it's wrong.
zzz   Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:19 am GMT
You would risk not being understood.
Laura Braun   Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:48 am GMT
the first one is OK, but the second one it's like you are trying to translate something in your own language in english. In fact when you use english you have to think like englishmen, so you better try not to construct your own sentence but listen much more or read much more. And when you use sin (which means something completely diferent just check in dictionary ).
Laura Braun   Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:49 am GMT
ooops (I meant something from your own language).
Guest   Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:12 am GMT
since was cutshort as "sin" due to a lack of space in the box. Nonetheless, nice advice of concerning a dic.
guest   Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:48 am GMT
Since I dont recognise since from from I wont comment this.
Ant_222   Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:07 am GMT
I though that:

"From" means "since" in space.
"Since" means "from" in time.

But:
Heinemann Ebglish Dictionary (1979):

1. A starting point is space, _time_ or order.
Ladarzak   Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:38 pm GMT
"Since" is correct, and "from" incorrect in your example, but it is a common European language speaker replacement and would be understood. "From" can be used in time expressions, but not in a simple expression meaning "until now" as yours implies, but a more complex one that specifies from when to when, e.g. "From the time she was a child, she studied hard." This would become, "Ever since I was a child, I have studied hard." Note the verb change. That is because since implies relation to the present, as does present perfect form. Also we don't talk about our whole lives in the past tense, hence the pronoun change. The person in the first example is either not living or it is a formal story telling.

General rule: if something sounds right from your translation word to word from your language, but you have never seen a native speaker do it, it is "wrong," though it may be understood. It may come off awkward, or even illiterate, or may not be understood, worst case scenario, as well.
Ladarzak   Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
Sorry for the PS.
Your example uses the present perfect. This requires "since" not "from." That is the short answer.

If you phrase it, "I haven't seen him, from January until now," it would be okay, because you have explicitly stated the endpoint that would otherwise be implied by the word "since." You could do this for emphasis, though it would be unusual. We do sometimes use longer constructions for emphasis. You can see, though, that it's really unnessary and hence awkward when compared with the short usual expression "since."