Australian Accent

lordsox   Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:18 am GMT
How is Australian Accent is different from US and UK accent ?
lordsox   Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:18 am GMT
I would love to have some examples
Guest   Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:47 am GMT
Listen to interviews of the Australian actors/actresses in Hollywood.
Guest   Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:15 pm GMT
Nope, in Australian English, the vowel in "face" is still pronounced [{I] or [EI] as distinct from the vowel "-igh" pronounced [Ae] or [AI].

Refer to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_English_phonology
Guest   Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:49 pm GMT
>> Nope, in Australian English, the vowel in "face" is still pronounced [{I] or [EI] as distinct from the vowel "-igh" pronounced [Ae] or [AI].
<<

To every other dialect, it sounds just like "fice". "Fice" however sounds almost like "foice".
Travis   Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:54 am GMT
>>It's pronounced like the /i/ in "fight." That's what I'm saying. <<

Um, no. "Fight" has /aI/ (or something that slightly varies from such phonetically) in English dialects today. It hasn't had anything like /i/ since before the Great Vowel Shift and after the elision of /x/ in it, where it had /i:/.
Uriel   Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:21 am GMT
So speaketh the X-SAMPA nazi.

You know what he meant.
Jim   Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:29 am GMT
It's pronounced similar to the /aI/ in "fight" as pronounced in Received Pronunciation or General American.
Uriel   Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:41 am GMT
Here you go, 'Sox. A website that features tons of different types of English speakers repeating the same (somewhat inane) paragraph. That should make it easy to compare different types of British, American, and Australian accents -- why, there's even one from my city (Las Cruces, NM)!

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=find&language=english
Guest   Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 am GMT
>>To every other dialect, it sounds just like "fice".<<

I seriously doubt it based inter-intelligibility.
Guest   Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:10 am GMT
>>It's pronounced like the /i/ in "fight." That's what I'm saying.<<

With the /i/, that would make it "feet". Refer to the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) or X-SAMPA. It's very basic "Phonetics 101", really.

Superficially, some people might perceive the "ay" in Australian English as "-igh" in American English, but not someone with some familiarity with the dialect.
Guest   Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:29 am GMT
*based = based on
lordsox   Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
Thanks Uriel ,that site will be the most valuable for me at the moment .
Thanks for your efforts
zzz   Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 pm GMT
>> >>To every other dialect, it sounds just like "fice".<<

I seriously doubt it based inter-intelligibility. <<

Just because someone has one or two phonetic differences, doesn't mean that they wouldn't be understood. While I understand that the letter "a" in AuE is not pronounced as "i", it sounds almost like my /aI/ sound. (I know it isn't though). Their "i" sound however, is different, so I can easily distinguish it from their "a" sound. If I, or just about anyone else, were to fake an Australian accent, I would replace the "a" sound with "i". So I would say face as [faIs]. Now, even though an Australian would use [æI], [æI] sounds just like [aI] to mean, and to just about anyone else with a different dialect. So, I could easily fake an Australian English dialect, by making that change (and a few other simple ones), and of course any Australian would find it horrific sounding, it would be convincing enough to fool any American (Travis, and other phoneticians excepted).
zzz   Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:28 pm GMT
oops
*to mean -> to me