I play THE piano or I play piano?

Oliveira   Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:13 pm GMT
Hi everybody!
There's one question I'd like to ask about the use of the article "the" before musical instruments.

Once I read that the form with the article (THE) was more common in one of the "Englishes" (British or American) but right now I can't remember which form is more common in BrE and which one in AmE.

Can you guys help me on that?

Is "Can you play THE guitar" more common in British or American English?

Thank you!
Oliveira
zzz   Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
Can you play the guitar?

Can you play guitar in the concert?
DX   Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:47 pm GMT
In the movie "Lilo and Stitch" Lilo says "Elvis played guitar" =)

So my guess is that the one with the artcle is more common in British English and the one without the article in American English, but I'm not a native speaker.
Guest   Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:02 pm GMT
Yes, the use of the article is more common in BrE.
Oliveira   Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 pm GMT
Thank you guys for your support...
Uriel   Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:40 am GMT
You can use both in AmE -- neither is particularly preferred over the other, as far as I know.
Guest   Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:54 am GMT
In my recent DVD, I found by chance three jazz musicians introduced themselves. Stanley Clarke said "I play bass", Patrice Rushen said "I played the piano" and Ndugu Chancler said "I play the drums".
Nora   Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:10 pm GMT
''play the guitar'' means ''play this guitar''
zzz   Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:47 pm GMT
>> ''play the guitar'' means ''play this guitar'' <<

I disagree.
Gheuf   Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:30 am GMT
In the general sense of "I know how to play the piano", both "I play the piano" and "I play piano" may be used, but I prefer "I play the piano" (I am from America, and play the piano).

But in certain more specific contexts, "I play piano" seems to be preferred. For example: "How do you make a living? - I play piano at the Waldorf." -- "I'm a member of the Philharmonic, and I play first oboe." -- "Which part do you play? -- I play bass" (as opposed to "Which instrument to you play? - I play the bass").

This could use some more looking in to.
zzz   Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:26 am GMT
>> In the general sense of "I know how to play the piano", both "I play the piano" and "I play piano" may be used, but I prefer "I play the piano" (I am from America, and play the piano).

But in certain more specific contexts, "I play piano" seems to be preferred. For example: "How do you make a living? - I play piano at the Waldorf." -- "I'm a member of the Philharmonic, and I play first oboe." -- "Which part do you play? -- I play bass" (as opposed to "Which instrument to you play? - I play the bass"). <<

I agree.